Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new to 'big' tanks and African Cichlids. We are getting close to cycling the tank and are ready for fish.
Its a 75 gallon tank with a fluval FX4 (250g) filter.

My son wants to add an Eyebiter and a Blue Dolphin
Other than those, he is open to suggestions....

We used http://www.aqadvisor.com and came up with the following tank:
1 - eye biter
3 -blue dolphins (do you have to get them in multiples?)
2 - taiwan reef

We're ok dropping some dolphins for other fish that don't get as big, but that site suggests even more dolphins.

Are we on the right track?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
That site really isn't all that reliable for good stocking advice. I wouldn't put any of those species in less than a 72" long tank that's at least 24" wide. You could maybe make the Taiwan reef work but you'd be better off with fish that grow no more than 6". I have a 180 gallon tank and my two dolphins are really aggressive. Malawi eye biters are also aggressive, they didn't get their name for no reason. As a general rule of thumb, 6" and below for 48" tanks, 6-8" for 60" tanks and 8-12" for 72x24" tanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,291 Posts
Welcome to C-F!!!

A 75G tank is a nice size to start with, depending on the species you want to stock. Is this a standard rectangular 75G tank?

You can read through the 75G Cookie Cutter setup for some general ideas, just scroll down the page to the Malawi section.

Will you be buying fish locally or via mail order? Mail order will give you more options though if you are very lucky, there may be a local aquarium club near you and some members may have what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, there's a couple places close by that sell exotic ccichlids.
We've had success with common fish in the past at a place near Lancaster, pa called that fish place.
Good website too.

·
Administrator
41,652 Posts
The eye biter will grow too large for a 75G...maybe the dolphins too. I like a 72" tank for fish that mature > six inches.

Are you going with all-male and one of each with none that look alike? Challenging tank. Read the all-male article in the Cichlid-forum Library for pros and cons.

Taiwan Reef is marginally too big for 75G as well.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Stahlhelms said:
Reef was considered because he matches up aggression wise.
Rob really wants an Eyebiter, will less fish = more casualties?
Not necessarily if you have proper male to female ratios of each species and/or compatible male species. The "eye biter" will try to attack everyone because they like large territories, not enough room in a 75 to keep other tank mates. You could do the Taiwan reef and a few smaller copadichromis species like trewavasae or azureus, no borleyi though. Also a few of the stuartgranti type peacocks, one of each color.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Stahlhelms said:
We are new to 'big' tanks and African Cichlids. We are getting close to cycling the tank and are ready for fish.
Its a 75 gallon tank with a fluval FX4 (250g) filter.

My son wants to add an Eyebiter and a Blue Dolphin
Other than those, he is open to suggestions....

We used http://www.aqadvisor.com and came up with the following tank:
1 - eye biter
3 -blue dolphins (do you have to get them in multiples?)
2 - taiwan reef

We're ok dropping some dolphins for other fish that don't get as big, but that site suggests even more dolphins.

Are we on the right track?

Thanks,
Is this ideal....not at all. But I would have no problem trying it. I would buy juvi fish about 1.5" to 2" and watch them grow. May need to do some re-homing down the road but still I would have no problem setting this up.

I would go with the three you listed and maybe look at these for additional fish.

Copadichromis azureus

Nimbochromis livingstonii- in these i would do females, that is the color I like best.

Placidochromis electra

Protomelas sp. "hertae

Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania

Sciaenochromis fryeri - aka electric blue ahli

:) :) :) :) :D :D :D :popcorn: :popcorn:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.