Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I am getting ready to set up a 40 gal. 4ft x 12.5 x 19.5, Malawi tank and was looking for some advice on my stocking list. I am going to be running 2 Penguin 350B filters and 1 Seio 620 super flow. Here is what I have in mind, all input excepted.

(5) Lemon Jakes
(5) German Reds
(5) Ngara Flametails

Some other options are:

Swallowtail
Fire Fish
Rubescens
Red Top Lwanda

Do you think these fish will get along together? Is 15 fish a good ratio for a 40 gal?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Well...48 x 12 footprint can fit three species, although ideally the tank would be the taller 55G.

With a shorter tank I'd try to go smaller and more peaceful than usually recommended for a 55G. Smaller would be 6" at maturity or less. Aulonocara baenschi at 5" would be a smaller peaceful peacock. Lemon Jake at 7" would be a large aggressive peacock. Browse through the profiles and review sizes and temperaments.

Also you want to keep in mind that peacocks crossbreed so if you will have mixed genders you usually only want one peacock species in a tank.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Also you want to keep in mind that peacocks crossbreed so if you will have mixed genders you usually only want one peacock species in a tank.
To add to this, you won't be able to tell the females apart if you ever do want to sell them or trade them or anything.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
DJRansome said:
With a shorter tank I'd try to go smaller and more peaceful than usually recommended for a 55G. Smaller would be 6" at maturity or less. Aulonocara baenschi at 5" would be a smaller peaceful peacock. Lemon Jake at 7" would be a large aggressive peacock. Browse through the profiles and review sizes and temperaments.
Agreed.

Jakes are almost too rambunctious and this includes the Lwanda and Swallowtail. -Ideally, the Swallowtail should be kept with a quiet group. It's fins are amazing, (hence the name Swallowtail) but in a small community tank, it will not become the flashy specimen that you see on the internet.

Rubescens and German Reds are pretty much the same fish; all originate from the Aul. Chipoka. If you want color, it's best to stick to just one male of one variation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts