Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone...

Currently setting up a 75g tank for the first time in about 25 years and completely overwhelmed by the amount of info available now compared to back in the day when you filled a tank with water and just threw some fish in it!!

This will be my first venture into the world of African Cichlids and I plan on going with an all Mbuna tank. Currently in the process of fishless cycling (day 10) and just added Tetra Safe Start Plus to hopefully speed up the process.

I have come up with the following stocking list:

4 Yellow Labs, Labidochromis Caeruleus
4 Red Zebras, Metriaclima estherae
4 Mainganos, Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos
4 Elongatus Jewel Spot, Pseudotropheus Elongatus
4 Blue Exasperatus, Melanochromis Exasperatus
6 Yellow Tail Acei, Pseudotropheus Sp.
4 Cuckoo Catfish
1-2 Pleco

I was planning on going with all juvies to keep the cost down so not sure how the male/female ratio will end up.

Looking for feedback to make sure this is suitable mix/quantity for my size tank and setup...See attached pic.

Also, should I stock all at one time?...If not, what would be a suitable strategy for stocking.

Thanks for any help/comments/opinions!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a great list. Assuming you are cycled up and slowly introducing, I don't see an issue with the list. Close to overstock, but as juves should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I like a smaller number of mbuna in a 75G...think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f of each and go with more females if the species is aggressive. Example the maingano or elongatus you might do 1m:7f.

Estherae and labs crossbreed, choose one or the other.

I like to stock all at once, but with a bottled bacteria product this can be risky. Stock the most timid species first...labs on your list.

Fill up the tank with rocks for mbuna.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I do plan on letting it fully cycle before adding fish...Hoping the TSS will speed up the process a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts