Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to set up a new Cichlid tank. Here are my tank dimensions 48 inches long by 29 inches tall and 15 inches deep. Looking for either Mbuna or Peacock Cichlids. I would like to do an all-male tank so I don't have to worry about breeding. What species and quantity of fish do you guys suggest that are not as aggressive? I know it's a tough question since Cichlids are naturally aggressive fish but I would like to try to cancel out super aggressive species. My decor in the tank is large Texas Holey Rock and CaribSea Eco-Complete African Cichlid Zack Black Substrate and running a sump. I would love to hear your suggestions and thank you again for taking the time to help me out.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Go with haps and peacocks since you want all male. It is a challenging tank (easier to deal with fry than all-male) and you will need extra tanks and a rehoming plan. Shoot for 10 males that will mature at or less than six inches. Avoid the jacobfreibergi peacocks. Read the all-male tank article in the Cichlid-forum Library, but remember they are suggesting 48x18 minimum and you have 48x15...more like a 55G.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
How much rock do you have? If you have the right amount for haps and peacocks (fair amount of open swimming space) then 3 species with 1m:4f of each with one peacock species and two hap species. Aulonocara stuartgranti rubescens, Placidochromis electra and Tramitichromis tetrastigma.

If you have a lot of rock maybe 1m:6f yellow labs and 1m:6f cynotilapia sp. hara.

Get 5 Synodontis lucipinnis for fry control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts