Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am getting ready to buy a Seashell 72"×18"×24" aquarium and hooded cabinet to house some SA Cichlids. I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years so will be seeking advice on a few matrers.
So to begin, I would like some knowledge on the following

1.which external canister filter?
Was thinking Fluvel fx4
2. What lighting?
3. Do I need an airstone
4.Recommended heater

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Welcome to C-F. That's a nice size tank you're getting.

1. Depending on how heavy you're stocking, I would probably go with the FX6 instead of the FX4. I had two Eheim 2262 (similar to an FX6) on my 110G SA tank and it wasn't overkill.

2. On my 240G I'm using 2 Aqua Illumination Freshwater fixtures. I like the level of control they give you. There are lots of choices. Take a look to see what's available in your area.

3. I've never used an airstone in any tank. You're better off getting a powerhead pointed a few inches from the surface to maximize flow. If you go with two large canisters though, you won't even need that.

4. I like the Aqueon Pro heaters. They've been reliable for me so far. Also, the Hydor inline heater is a good one as it get's the heater out of your tank.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zimmy

I was really hoping an air pump wasn't necessary as they tend to be a bit hit and miss.

If my cabinet is big enough for a Fluvel FX6 I will definataly go that way over the FX4
Will have to check out some lights as my experience has only been with fluorescent in the past and things have moved on these days

Another question is what substrate to use ?

Hope my livestock will be as follows

Heros Severum X 2
Geophagus X 2/3 unsure really
Electric Blue Acara X 2
Plecky X 1
and possibly some dither fish X 6 but they need to be from South America

·
Registered
449 Posts
Swimming pool filter sand is a good substrate and fairly inexpensive; check your local pool supply retailers.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Old Newbie said:
Swimming pool filter sand is a good substrate and fairly inexpensive; check your local pool supply retailers.
+1 on the sand, especially if you're keeping eartheaters. I would get more than 2-3 geophagus though as they do better in a larger group. Your tank is a perfect size for a group, especially if you go with one of the smaller variants.

Regarding the powerhead, I use one made by Tunze in my 240G and it's been in use for almost a decade now in a few different tanks. It was a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.