Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up a new tank and have a question. I work at a limestone quarry where i can get chuncks of limestone rock, can this be used in a tank that will house frontosa. It is fresh from the quarry, is there anything besides washing that i may have to do before it is fish safe?

I am thinking of putting a couple of chunks in to help keep the PH level consistant?

Would this be ok to do.

We also make a smallpebble size product that I was thinking of using for the gravel in there also.

Larry

·
Registered
220 Posts
That should work quite well!. Just monitor the pH and add a few pieces at a time until you achieve a look and pH that suits you and the fish respectively.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I believe we've found that rock doesn't leech pH fast enough to really affect water conditions when you couple it with water changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sjnovakovich said:
That should work quite well!. Just monitor the pH and add a few pieces at a time until you achieve a look and pH that suits you and the fish respectively.
Steve:

Thank you for the advise, i am thinking of going with the gravel product and adding a couple chunks of texas holy rock for looks.

Larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glaneon said:
I believe we've found that rock doesn't leech pH fast enough to really affect water conditions when you couple it with water changes.
That is what I am thinking also, it is just a source of products that I can get free or at a low cost so am thinking of using them.

larry

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
One point that you may already know if you work with it -- It will be dusty. That may make a big change if you don't rinse it before adding. I would think the small gravel might have a lot of dust, so go easy with it at first to see what reaction you get with your water. How much it will change your water is determined by what your water is before you add it. Low PH and KH, it may bump it up quite a bit. For me, I would do an overnight soak in a bleach/ water mix. Doesn't need to be strong as it is problably good anyway. But then there is a lot of equipment running around a quarry and it does drip some oil here and there. It is just safer to assume that some of that oil might be on the gravel or rock you get. Bleach will make any of that stuff safe. I use the highly technical term "glug" for how much bleach! Rinse it the next day and spread it out to dry. When it is dry, you know it is safe. No fungus , no bugs , no oil or grease from the machinery. Since you need to rinse it anyway, adding a bit of soak and bleach is not a big thing to do for insurance.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have all limestone in my tank, doesn't seem to change PH vs tanks I've had without it.
I don't know if Frontosas care about the substrate, but my Malawis sure like to dig up sand. The detritus sits on top of it, so it's really easy to get out.

If you can get really fine crushed limestone, that may work pretty well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.