Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,this is my first post, but I've had a 56G mixed mbuna tank up for about a year now. My GF found a good deal on a 125g (72 1/2"L x 18 1/2"W x 23 3/8"H) and stand so I she bought and we are picking it up on Thursday. The plan is take the holey rock out the current tank and add it the new tank plus a lot more. I'm currently using a black sand (40lbs) I got from petsmart that I'll also be moving over along with adding Quickcrete. Ill be adding a Marineland C-530 canister, a power head, and the in tank UV filter I currently have. For lighting, I'm trying to decide between two Marineland Double Bright strip or two of the Single Bright Strips.

So my question is of course about stocking. I've a got a few fist that will be moving over to the new tank which are:
2 yellow labs m/f
3 Msobo's m/2F
4 Acei 3m/1F (will try to trade 2 males in, but they all seem to get along and are quite goofy)
Red Devil Female that will be traded in.

What else would you guys recommend to go along with these current mbuna's. The Msobo is my favorite and the yellow my GF's, so they have to stay. I'm sure she would be happy to add a few more labs.

Hopefully i can get some pics up this weekend as I start to put things together.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
A 125 can theoretically hold 5 species of mbuna.

Try not to mix two species from the same genus; since you're keeping Metriaclima sp. "msobo," don't add anything else from the Metriaclima/Maylandia genus.
This rule doesn't always apply to the genus Pseudotropheus, since many of them are very dissimilar - an acei and demasoni have very little in common.

Try not to mix two species with similar-looking males. Pseudotropheus demasoni and Pseudotropheus saulosi will likely kill each other off.

Have a look at the African Cichlid Genus Gallery and see what catches your eye.

kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as the total number of fish, what should I be shooting for/staying under.

My 56g with 10 seems like it understocked.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
There's no hard and fast number I can give you since mbuna range in size from 3.5" to over 7". The range in aggression is just as varied.

For reference, I am planning on stocking my 125 with 5 species:
5-8 Labeotropheus fuelleborni (big fish)
5-8 Metriaclima sp. "msobo"
5-8 Melanochromis joanjohnsonae
12-15 Pseudotropheus demasoni (small fish)
5-8 Pseudotropheus sp. "williamsi north"
Plus 5-7 Synodontis

I will be buying 10 or so of each fish (15-18 dems) and pulling fish until I (hopefully) find a balance.

kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey,
I have the same size tank, moved from a 75G a couple of years ago and loving it. I have an aquaclear 110, Fluval 404, and an eshopps 200CS wet/dry. I currently have about 20 4"+ fish and another 15 that are less than 3".

Take a look at my tank photo (just uploaded it), that was from about 2 years ago and will show you what 30 fish in a 125G gallon looks like. The largest fish in that tank is 5.5" and all the others are less than 3" (aka, what you would typically purchase). I am going to be replacing the Fluval 404 with an FX5 and overstocking to 40, 50? I am not sure yet. We will see how that goes :p

Thanks,
-Luey

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've kept Acei for many years and I've never noticed any aggression issues between males in the same aquarium. I never worry about sex ratios with this species.

I presently have five adults in my 135 male hap/peacock show tank. I know the biggest one is a male because I've seen him displaying. I know the smallest one is a female because she recently spat fry. The sex of the other three is unknown.

They swim in a school together in the tank, so I assume they are all comfortable with one another.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts