Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all thanks for the advice on the moving of this tank it all went Well and they are now In the new home being my Living Room :) its absoltuely Beautiful and these Pictures donot do them any justice but just wondred if anyone can throw some light onto what *** got? the biggest is the Blue one with the Yellow tail/fins and he is around 10 inches and definilty the most prominent in the tank, the darker navy with lighter Blue Lines ones are beautiful too theres 4 of them and they been busy shifting sand from the back of the tank all day :) amazed how they all keep watching me go about my day :D anyway any of you experts that can save me lots of digging and give me an idea of what they are all actually called would be Good, thanks oh and i should have added that all of there colours are still not completey back from the move which im told could take a few days to come back.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hey Sarah nice tank you got there, n I will try my best at ID'ing them but take them with a grain of salt as I am not the best at it!

1st pic: upper right corner (blue w/stripes) looks to be an Electric Blue Johannii and a yellow lab, looks like some of your labs may be hybrids tho.

2nd pic: Not Sure About purplish one, but yellow one look to be more labs

3rd pic: another electric blue?

4th pic: Ps. Acei (yellow Tailed)

5th pic: Possibly a Socolofi? ( not too sure on that one, never had one )

hope this helps ya get a start n Im sure more people will chime in that know alot more then me.

Congrats! :thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! yes just google imaged your suggestions and it looks like the names you suggested are correct!!! they are really Beautiful fish and *** fallen totally in love with them already, the 7th picture dowm they Purpley/Greyey striped one also has 3 very tiny babies in the tank, i think he might be more Blue when hes colour comes back would be curios to know what they are? also the one in the second pic is Blueing out more as the day goes on :) theres lots of Yellows in here but im thinking there Females and Necessary for the amount of Males is that Correct? Seems a little overstocked to me theres 29 fish 6 of them being over 5 inches so i would ideally like to ruduce numbers when i learn more and can make a more educated decision on whats best to keep! thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I see a pair of Kenyi in that last pic, too. The male is poking his head out on the right. The female (or juvi) is blue in the middle.

That male in shot #3 is Mel. something, but I can't find the profile. I've seen it before, though.

You've got a lot of yellow lab hybrids in there. All yellow with no black on the fins.

And a few socolofi, as has been said.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the Help,are the Hybrid ones the Yellow Labs without any Colour on the fins? should i get rid of those? are they all Females or are males Yellow too? there are a few in there with very Black fins and mild dark stripes there the good ones right? im confused as to which ones breed with which as i read that they can look totally different in colouring but be the same species thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The all yellow ones could be what is called the Electric Yellows, which is just line bred to get rid of the black lines. The one that seems to have the strips (vertically) may be a hybrid but also could be some serious stress bars. If they dont go away then I would say ya that one is. If you dont plan on doing anything with the fry you could just keep them and let the others get the fry when they spit but just dont sell them or give to other people you could keep them

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yellow Labs (aka Electric Yellows, Electric Yellow Labs) are ideally yellow with black fins. Some may exhibit light barring/bearding (black face) from time to time. That's not "preferred," but you see it in wild fish, so it's not due to poor breeding, necessarily.

The all yellow with no black fins are hybrids, not line-bred fish. There's nothing wrong with owning one. If by "getting rid of" you mean taking to a store, no, don't do that. If you mean killing them, well, do it humanely. But really, there's no reason to kill a hybrid. Just don't intentionally breed or distribute anything from that tank.

Generally, anything that has similar colors or body shape will breed, especially if you're not keeping colonies with 1m:lots of females... To an extent. For species with, say, yellow females and blue males (most melanochromis, as well as ps. saulosi and others), a male saulosi might try to breed with a female lab or melanochromis. Same with a male melanochromis.

The fish you have that is yellow with some vertical bars and no yellow on its fins looks like a male Kenyi. I stand by this one ;)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Fogelhund said:
xxbenjamminxx said:
The all yellow ones could be what is called the Electric Yellows, which is just line bred to get rid of the black lines.
This is false... they are hybrids.
I apologize, was misinformed then.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right thanks for all the info i get it now, I could never kill one of my fish just cos its a hybrid so i guess im just gonna enjoy this tank for what it is and set up Breeder tanks when im a little more clued up with whats best to breed! i'm learning!! the main colours of this tank is Blue and Obviously yellow is there anything else i could add to add more colour? I know i would have to take some of my hybrids out and im thinking i may set up a second tank for these, the way im going i will end up with tanks all over my house but hey so be it lol

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
What are the dimensions of this tank?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Dimensions of the tank are 92 x 51 x 41 and it holds 180 litres which is around 40 us gallons i think

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
36" x 20"

So no I would add fish. You might want to inventory the fish you have, identify and sex them. Based on that you might want to switch some. Especially if you confirm you have fish like kenyi, melanochromis and moorii.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes i have 1 Large yellow Kenyi and 2 smaller Bue ones, is colour representative of sex?
3 x 4" melanochromis
1 x 4" moorii
1 x 10" Acei
1 x 5" Socolofi (I think)
then a mixture of good and Hybrid Yellow Labs

If colour is not reprensentive of the sex then im gonna have fun trying to sex them :?

Thanks for all the Help in identifying my fish :)

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
I think you said you want to see how it goes with the fish you have and nothing wrong with that. In case you run into problems, you might find:
--kenyi do better in a 75G or larger with 1m:7f
--moorii some say a 72" tank is the minimum
--melanochromis 75G or larger with 1m:7f
--acei ideal is a 75G group of 5-6, some have success with acei in a 55G 48" rectangle tank
--a group of 7-9 yellow labs is good for a single species 36" tank

I have a 36" tank myself and it has held these stockings at various times with success:
--12 demasoni with 3 yellow labs and 3 synodontis petricola
--1m:4f aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri
--6 juvenile altolamprologus calvus and 6 neolamprologus caudopunctatus

1 - 18 of 18 Posts