Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up the tank. 400 litres. Plan is in the down pipe section there is filter floss pad and three sizes of filter block. Guessing I will replace the filter floss weekly but filter blocks won't ever need washing? Main sump section will be full of 10-15 litre of siporax. Anything else people recommend? Tank will be fairly heavy stocking

cic1.jpg

cic2.jpg

cic3.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
With heavy stocking of cichlids you may need to clean more often. Detritus and biofilm can build up on any kind of filter material and need to be back washed or rinsed. Floss needs to be frequently changed since it is a mechanical kind of filtration. If left long, it begins to change to more biofiltration as it is colonized by bacteria. Heavy stocking is usually associated with rift lake African cichlids in my experience.

·
2,088 Posts
Agree - filter foam needs to be rinsed out when the filter is cleaned/serviced. One benefit of a sump is that typically this is easier than with a canister, but that presumes sufficient space under the tank. What fish are you planning to keep?

My sump maintenance involves cleaning the foam prefilters regularly, the bioballs and other media might get a good rinse annually. I try not to do both concurrently to avoid issues with potentially losing the bacteria colony.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be going with an all male peacock tank.
My fish keeping experience is 15 years with marine fish.

First section of sump will be the 3 different grades of filter foam with filter floss on top.
Second biggest area will be full of 15 litres of siporax. I know from Marine keeping this stuff has a great surface area for bacteria. Does it make a difference to the bacteria to be in high levels of oxygen? Again my knowledge of marines is you want soem in high O2 level areas and some in low o2 areas for different bacteria to break down different elements.

Last section will be mainly empty. Just return pump and maybe some carbon. Contemplating removing filter floss and foam media and putting in a roller filter. Its worked great for marines to pull out organics before they broke down. Not sen them used on Cichlid tanks though?

Thanks all for the advice :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts