Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my girlfriend gave me a 20 gallon long bare tank for our anniversary! I went out and bought a stand and already painted the back of the tank black. Before I purchase anything else, what color gravel would look best with a pitch black background? I really don't want to use sand.

When it's all set up I plan on stocking it with a few Honduran Red Points, as they look like Convicts, but lack their belligerent temperament. I really like their colorful fins, but the problem is I can't find any. Aquabid has some, but I only want 1 or 2.

·
Registered
656 Posts
carib sea sells some gravels that is made up of a mix of different sizes and colors, I think it gives a more natural look than something thats all one color/size.

If you found a girl thats buying you fish tanks you better keep her :lol:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shellies215 said:
If you found a girl thats buying you fish tanks you better keep her :lol:
Yea, we both love fish. She got a 10 gallon with some guppies in. She knew I was getting a new tank soon, although I was planning on upgrading, but I can't look a gift horse in the mouth!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have it all set up. I took one of the terracotta pots from my established aquarium and placed it in the new one. I was planning on getting the same filter so I could swap filter cartridges, but walmart was out, so I got a Penguin with a bio wheel.

Anyway, on cycling what does everyone propose that I do? Buy some cheap, hardy fish to cycle with?

O yea, and my girlfriend helped me set it all up!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Elijah said:
Well I have it all set up. I took one of the terracotta pots from my established aquarium and placed it in the new one. I was planning on getting the same filter so I could swap filter cartridges, but walmart was out, so I got a Penguin with a bio wheel.

Anyway, on cycling what does everyone propose that I do? Buy some cheap, hardy fish to cycle with?

O yea, and my girlfriend helped me set it all up!
I would do a fishless cycle using ammonia. Lots of info on it in the library section and by a search of this site. Ton's of threads about it also tons of stuff if you google it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts