Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have recently bought a 90g aquarium, 48"x18"x24" second hand and its been a while since I last had fish, so i'm welcoming any suggestions.

I have a aqua one CF1200 filter which I plan to integrate into a 3d rock wall background which came with the tank.

On the photo I have put a red dot where i'm thinking of making a hole for the intake, and in blue where the outtake will poke through, and yellow grate for an overflow for surface skimming.

Do you think these positions are ok? I am trying to blend everything into the rock wall, so i'm concentrating on indents and places which won't be so obvious when the tank is viewed.

I am also thinking of installing UGJ, to help with the maintenance of the tank, directing the flow towards the intake. I have been doing a lot of reading on UGJ and i'm thinking of 5/6 jets positioned at regular intervals to move to detritus towards the intake.

These will be driven by a powerhead, but for that number of jets, what output should I be looking for?

And also would I be able to position the powerhead behind the rock wall too? This would mean that it would be extremely hard to reach, so cleaning would not be possible. I was thinking of putting the powerhead in one of the cavities beneath my proposed outtake position (bottom right of the rock wall). I suppose i'm wondering, with UGJ do you need to clean the sponge on the powerhead often/at all? Also placing it behind the rock wall will also reduce the amount of detritus its exposed to.

So what do you think? Do these plans seem viable? As I have the opportunity now to play around and plan it out, I want to get it a good as possible before I start cycling and stocking the tank.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That's my biggest question regarding 3D backgrounds. They look amazing, but a bit of an engineering challenge with filter input/output.

I would think the "cave" in the upper right would be a good place for the output, otherwise you could get some pretty stagnant water up there.

Intake location looks good.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Always tough to say when it comes to positioning inputs and outputs into 3D polystyrene rocks...I'm in the middle of doing this myself.

I would consider not attaching your input to the BG - just hide it behind - and cut two rectangles (as well as your overflow) for intakes - silicone some mesh (I use plastic screen door mesh) over the holes and cover with dark foam. The foam can be rinsed occasionally.

You could also consider using a wye or tee to split your output into two outputs - might render the UGJ moot.

Here are some links that show how others have done it.

http://www.ciklider.se/forum/index.php?topic=3417.0
http://www.gillsnfins.ca/3d_install.php

kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I like the idea of splitting the output and maybe putting a second output in the "cave" glaneon pointed out.

Still wondering about the powerhead for the UGJ. With the filter sucking the majority of the waste, I don't think much will make its way to the powerhead. So if I hide it behind the background where it will be pretty inaccessible, should I still put a sponge over the intake to stop the detritus from entering?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts