Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I have a 260 lt tank. It's been running for 5 weeks. I have a fluval 406 and hydra 40 running on it.

I have put in peacocks last week. 6 in total.

Problem I seem to keep having is my water conditions, my tap water has around 0.25ppm ammonia already in it and water tests has the same results... even with conditioner it doesn't come down. I am based in east of Scotland.

My nitrites levels are between 2.0 -5.0 ppm and these don't seem to come down, last weekend I done a 30% water change on the Saturday and Sunday then another on the Tuesday but still it's between 2.0 - 5.0ppm.

My nitrate levels have came down slightly too. From 20ppm to around the 5.0 ppm... which is good.

Fish seemed uninterested in food before the water changes and now they are acting like typical starved cichlids... seen a huge change in them... hoping the best case scenario is I have a dodgy water test kit!!!

Please help!

many thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,717 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Read the articles in the Cichlid-forum Library in the Water Chemistry section about cycling your tank. Ideally you would add ammonia for six weeks before adding fish. The beneficial bacteria that grows during that period will handle toxins in your tank like ammonia and nitrites...but they need to grow first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys

Im really struggling here. I need some help asap.

My ph is 7.4
My kh is 3

My nitrites are through the roof. Between 2.0ppm and 5.0ppm... Ammonia is 0 and nitrate is around 10ppm.

Tank has been running for 6 weeks and had fish in it last 2 weeks.

Its these nitrites i cannot bring under control.

Tonight i have done a 50% water change and removed about 70% of the substrate (will replace with sand next week).

I know i need to raise my kh but worrying that i may add too little or too much buffer.

Please help
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,717 Posts
Your tank is cycling. Do NOT remove the substrate. Do NOT replace until your nitrites are zero.

When you did the 50% change your nitrites should have gone down by 50%.

Keep doing 50% or even 75% water changes every morning and night. You want your nitrites below 1ppm. It will take a bunch of 2X daily water changes to get there and maybe 1X daily ongoing to maintain.

With the low KH just check your pH in the tank with every change to be sure you are not changing pH by more than 0.2 per day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts