Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 55g tank, had it running for over a month with Tetras, have moved them out, purchased the following: 3 Red Zebra's (I think??), 2 P.Demasoni, 3 Zebra Obliquidens and 1 Pleko....

It is now day 3 and all is well?? (Hopefully by the time I get home from work, all will still be well). How long will it take for me to know if the set up is correct etc. I know my tank temp is good, I bought a tester thing you stick to the inside of the tank, and it is telling me that the water is in good condition. HOWEVER I will be getting some PH testers later today to ensure my PH is at an acceptable level. Anything in particular I should watch for?
Thanks for your help;
M

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You should expect the 2 demasoni to become 1 demasoni soon. Attrition.

The ZO's can get big, but you have a long time for that.

3 RZs wont be enough, you'll want some more females (unfortunately it's tough to tell the males from females; requires venting).

Some folks just use whatever pH your tap is, as long as it's above 7.
Me, I find it's easiest to just add 1tsp/5 gallons to get to pH 8.2 (you may not need as much depending on your tap water).

I've heard bad reviews of the in-tank testing units.. maybe the pH one is okay.

Check your water's hardness (GH & KH). Let us know.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If you can, buy the biggest test kit they sell at the lfs. You need to check the ph and hardness of your tapwater and tank infrequently as they won't change quickly, but you need to be on top of ammonia and nitrate, plus make sure you're neutralizing any chlorine if your tapwater has it, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I still prefer the test strips to the liquid due to the time it takes to get a result.

The ammonia test is of limited use - once your tank is cycled you shouldn't need it anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I lost one OB, I think that this was just a survival issue...

Yesterday my ammonia was high, so I put an older media in the filter, to regian some of the benneficial bacteria, did a 10% water change, the levels went down overnight, so I will check when I get home this evening, and possibly change some water again. I think that I have been overfeeding.

In doing some reading, my 3 RD's have "spots" on their anal fin, which MAY be an indication that they are all male?? What is venting (the only 'true' method of determining sex)... all of the fish are quite active and really don't stay still for long...
I am oberving that the P. Demo's are quite aggressive...
Want to add more fish this week, any suggestions?
Thanks;
M

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Spots may be a "leaning" to Male vs female but it's definitely not reliable.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
On RZ's (I assume that's what you meant by RD?) egg spots in no way indicate sex. Males, as they mature, will become less orange and more peach. Females retain the orange.

High ammonia indicates that your tank was not cycled. If it's COMPLETELY gone (0ppm, not .00001; ZERO) as well as nitrite being COMPLETELY gone, then the old filter media has worked and your tank is ready for more fish. Wait until this point to get anything else, though. Keep your nitrates below 40ppm, if possible.

Like people have said, your 2 dems will become 1 unless you add at least 10 more. And your RZ male (if you have one) will harass any females/sub-dom males. 3 isn't enough to spread the aggression. Once your tank is ready, I'd add 10-14 juvie dems (you'll be thinning the herd to ~12 eventually) and 4 RZs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts