Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finished building the stand this weekend, Yay.!!! Got the aquarium set up on top. Got the filter installed and put the rocks and 3 of the 4 bags of substrate in......

75 Gallon Aquarium
Fluval FX5 Filter
Carib Sea Ecco-Complete Live Freshwater African Cichlid Gravel
Bunch of limestone and river jacks
300 Watt heater

So getting ready to start the fishless cycle when I get home, picked up the wrong ammonia (had surfactants in it, so I'm getting the right stuff on the way home.

Questions???

Looking at stocking it with the following:

Pseudotropheus Saulosi
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Metriaclima SP "Msobo"
Pseudotropheus SP. "Acei" (Msuli)

Any issues with compatibility here? And with the tank set up as shown below with the rocks would 5-6 of each species be about right? Do I need to take some of the rocks out? More or less fishies?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
A lot of yellow fish but they should get along fine.

Stand and tank look great.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dotbomb said:
A lot of yellow fish but they should get along fine.

Stand and tank look great.
Wow, I just realized that.... I was looking at the links in the cookie cutter set up and didn't notice that some of them had different colors depending on gender. Think I'll look again and find some other colors. I'm assuming Habs and Peacocks won't do well in this set up as there's too much rock and from what I've read they like the more sandy areas right (would have to take out some rock and add some sand)?

Thanks, first wood working attempt, lol. Took me 3 weeks to build that thing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
you might want to move your rocks so that the fish can actually hide from you - this will make them feel more comfortable, they'll be out and about more. Restacking them in a tighter pile will do that, and that might mean there's space for more rocks, not less. :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nina_b said:
you might want to move your rocks so that the fish can actually hide from you - this will make them feel more comfortable, they'll be out and about more. Restacking them in a tighter pile will do that, and that might mean there's space for more rocks, not less. :)
More rocks.... lol I still have some left over. Should I be leaving a little more room at the top though? Looking at the species again, I would like to mix some Haps or Peacocks in there, but I'm not sure if they'll do well with all the rock.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, looked at the species again.....

Blue:

Pseudotropheus Elongatus - 5

or

Pseudotropueus Socolofi - 5

Purple:

Pseudotropheus SP. "Acei" (Msuli) - 5

Yellow:

Labidocromis Caeruleus - 5

Blue/Yellow:

Pseudotropheus Saulosi (not sure about this, but I love the coloring of the males) - 5

Basically a total of around 20 is that going to be too many, fish. I've read about over crowding but not entirely sure about it. I know some of these species can get up to 6" So I don't want them cramped in the tank. Though some rock removal/adjustment can be made.

Thanks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The salousi females and the labs don't look too good together, the yellows clash. Maybe pick one species between the two?

I would be wary of mixing mbuna with haps/peacocks, the one gets bullied, the other gets eaten, and both feel cramped.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I MUST SAY I LOVE THAT ROCK WORK! NICE!! :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Some Pseudotropheus Elongatus are not that blue. For example, the ones I have from Boadzulu are really more a light purple. So if you go with these make sure you know which ones you are getting.

If you are buying these as juveniles I would order at least 7 of each so that in the end you end up with 5 total (1m/4f).

I too wouldn't do saulosi with yellow labs.

I like your other choice of msobo best for yellow in the tank personally.

So here's my take

Pseudotropueus Socolofi
Metriaclima sp. Msobo

Then you can pick another species that is pretty different. Perhaps a Cynotilapia?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chunkanese said:
Wow the stand is amazing. Also if you slap on a background, a simple black or dark blue will really make it all pop!
Thanks, 37 years old and I've never really built anything from scratch like that, so this was a first. Trust me made more than my share of mistakes. All in all I think I only spent about $250 on materials.

Yeah, planning on putting just a plain black background on there. Stopped at two different pet/aquarium stores in the last two days and both were out of plain black. Can't figure that one out. Should have some in later this week when I go to pick up the light, they had to order it not in stock.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dotbomb said:
Some Pseudotropheus Elongatus are not that blue. For example, the ones I have from Boadzulu are really more a light purple. So if you go with these make sure you know which ones you are getting.

If you are buying these as juveniles I would order at least 7 of each so that in the end you end up with 5 total (1m/4f).

I too wouldn't do saulosi with yellow labs.

I like your other choice of msobo best for yellow in the tank personally.

So here's my take

Pseudotropueus Socolofi
Metriaclima sp. Msobo

Then you can pick another species that is pretty different. Perhaps a Cynotilapia?
Personal preference I guess, I think I like the lab better than the msobo due to the black on the fins. Just me though.

Think I'm kind of set on these 3

Blue:

Pseudotropueus Socolofi

Purple:

Yellow:

Labidocromis Caeruleus

Maybe Cynotilapia axelrodi for the fourth or is that going to be too much blue in the tank?

Order 7 of each? OK, I know I'm new to this, but I sure hope I don't kill off 8 fish. Is that really an issue when ordering? Or just expecting a few DOA?

k.... Just started the fishless cycle and did a quick baseline before adding the ammonia....

PH 8.2
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

Forgot to do the Nitrate, so I did it about an hour after I added .8 tbs of ammonia to the tank and got:

Nitrate 20 ppm ?????????

Isn't the nitrate supposed to be produced towards the end of the fishless cycle. Is it possible the nitrate is high due to the substrate, I know they advertise that it has that bacteria all ready in it and it clouded up the tank pretty good when I put in. Should I be doing a water change at this point or let it go for now?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your ammonia was .25ppm before you added ammonia?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Also I'm not sure what .8 tbs is. How do you measure that? Use this calculator at the bottom on the page nbutmhow many gallons your tank is, change a
Monia to 3ppm 5 is really to high and put you %ammonia should say on the bottle. This will calculate the amount of ammonia need.

Pm if you need help I just fishless cycled my 90 gal. Took 1 week now have 10 fish in it all were able to be added at once

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
adam0444 said:
Also I'm not sure what .8 tbs is. How do you measure that? Use this calculator at the bottom on the page nbutmhow many gallons your tank is, change a
Monia to 3ppm 5 is really to high and put you %ammonia should say on the bottle. This will calculate the amount of ammonia need.

Pm if you need help I just fishless cycled my 90 gal. Took 1 week now have 10 fish in it all were able to be added at once
Yeah I used the cacluator, don't have anything to measure milliters so I found a conversion calculator to convert ml into tbs. Hence the .8 tablespoons. I used 4 ppm for the ammonia and 9% (went low because its not on the bottle, after thought I should have gone higher).

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
adam0444 said:
Your ammonia was .25ppm before you added ammonia?
Just barely, liquid in the tube was just a slight yellowish/green. This was about 30 minutes after adding the last bag of substrate. After the filter ran for a little while longer I checked it again and it was back down to 0.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heh, just noticed you're in N.H. Adam, I grew up in Henniker, N.H.

Little confused on the KH/GH thing, how many ppm should KH and GH be?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, think I found my fourth... :)

Pseudotropueus Socolofi
Labidocromis Caeruleus

Tropheops sp. Boadzulu (Kanchedza)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.