Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i have been keeping a 29gal. tropical planted tank for a couple years, and i have decided to start a 29gal. african tank. i have done my research on set-up and maitenence...but if you have any advice that you havent seen mentioned on most sites then i would appreciate you sharing your tips. anyways, what i really need help with is stocking. i am new to africans and would like to stock my tank with non-mbuna, but i really have no idea where to start...so many species to choose from. any advice with what fish to start with is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance for your help.

-monkey-

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm no expert on africans as I am just starting myself but I have done a lot of research and the only suggestion I'd make is that if at all possible you consider going a step up to a 55 gallon. It will give you far more options, but I guess it kinda of goes without saying that bigger is almost always "better", when it comes to options. However if it's not an option then good luck with your setup, keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea...i know bigger is better, but i just dont have the room or money to setup anything larger. and i will keep you posted if i make any decisions.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you had a tropical planted aquarium, what was the pH of it?
Is your tap water what you used for water changes and is it the same pH as the aquarium?
:)
The reason I ask is because if your tropical tank had a pH of 7-7.5 and that is what your
tap is, then maybe South American cichlids would be less of a hastle for you.
Apistogamma and Rams are cool dwarf sized cichlids and would fit your 29g plus they are plant friendly.
:thumb:
The Tang. Africans mentioned are really cool ones, but they would be happiest in hard water
with a pH of 8 or so...

Any fish can adapt to a pH different than ideal.
I just thought you may be interested in an alternative to high pH hard water cichlids, to accomodate your tap.
hth,
Alicem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is a whole new tank, it has lots of rocks, no plants, and the substrate that keeps the ph high...during the cycle i will make sure the ph stays around 8, if not then i will figure out something else

as for water changes, i do a 10-15% change weekly so the ph shouldnt fluctuate much if at all after adding the new water (my water comes from a well so it has a 7-7.5 ph)

and rams and apistogramma are hard to find in my area, so i would prob have to order them from drs foster and smith or something like that...and i really dont want to pay that shipping :roll:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Honestly, keeping your ph stable is much more important than keeping it "ideal". As long as your tap PH is over 7, then I wouldn't mess with it, as likely all the fish you will get are tank raised and are use to lower ph. Fish farms do NOT buffer their waters to get them to the ideal range.

Having ph swings from water changes would cause more harm and having to adjust it is just a hastle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts