Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cycled my 50 gal tank (fishless cycle 2-4ppm Ammonia) 0 ppm Ammonia in 24hrs. I'm filtering with a Ehiem 2215 and an emporer 400. I then stocked the tank with 5 - Gresheaki's and 7 Yellow Lab's all juvinilles. Between 1"-2". I would like to add another 15 juvinille cichlids and 5 young syno catfish. I intend to keep them in this grow out tank till my 150 cycles. Probably be in the tank for 2 - 3weeks. Is this too many fish to house in a 50 gal for 3 weeks?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just recently got into the fish hobby so im by zero means an expert, from what i've read and picked up from forums and books is that the fish don't die from the tank being too small its the water.
With that being said if you have the tank over filtered, and do A LOT of water changes, and clean the bottom when ever you water change, you could prolly get it off.
Also depending on what size these fish are when you mean juvenile cuz my single yellow lab in my 29 gallon was 1 1/2 inches scrawny little fish when i got him, now hes a good 3+ inches and if i compared looks to a human he'd be a roid head.
With that being said take my advise as a grain of salt. I've only recently got into liking cichlids. Good luck though

·
Registered
656 Posts
It is always recommended that you stock for "adult size" of fish. If it will only be for a few weeks, you should be OK, but I would keep an eye on water quality, and do water changes twice a week if needed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:dancing:

That's what I wanted to hear. My water quality has been bang on for 2 weeks and I put a large ammonia load during the cycle (read previous).

Another question may be, given that I have been through the cycling for two weeks - is it too early to transfer one of my filter cartriges as I run Emporer's in both tanks? Also can I may transfer some of the rocks to my cycling tank to speed the process?

Noting - "I don't want to jeopordize the water stability in the grow in tank". I know it's kind of a subjective question but...

·
Registered
173 Posts
well if your 150 is getting the eheim thats on the 55, then you can move the fish with the filters and rocks if you would like and see at best a small amount of ammonia spike but most likely not. assuming that there is not any ammonia in the tank after the fish were added. Just because the tank is almost 3 times bigger the bio load stays the same there for you can just transfer everything over and not have a major issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Valous said:
Just because the tank is almost 3 times bigger the bio load stays the same there for you can just transfer everything over and not have a major issue.
it will accually be safer in the big tank, the bioload stays the same but you will have 3 times the water volume to dilute any nitrates and any ammonia spike if it occures

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suken said:
Valous said:
Just because the tank is almost 3 times bigger the bio load stays the same there for you can just transfer everything over and not have a major issue.
it will accually be safer in the big tank, the bioload stays the same but you will have 3 times the water volume to dilute any nitrates and any ammonia spike if it occures
That is a good idea.

At this point the 150 has a FX5 and Emporer 400 working away and will monitor for the week to see progress. I may try your suggestion closer to the week end when I have time to monitor. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts