Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I find there is too much thought that cichlids are not normal fish. They are just fish and as such can be treated the same. For cycling the tank, do it the way you would normally do it. Your chose and the fish breathe pretty much the same! The chose of fish and how to add them is more a matter of size and what fish you want to add. That is where cichlids can begin to be different than what I often term "wimp" fish. They do tend to be bigger and tougher! If you get full grown tough guys, there may be more trouble when you put them in a tank. If you get small, young fish, they may grow into tough guys but it gives you time to learn about them before they start problems. I get small (i.e. cheaper) fish in groups and let them grow together and find little problems that I can't shift and change to keep under control.
I like to start slow when going into unknown areas and then learn as I go. Cichlids will give you far more indications that they need change than the fish you have had. They fight and claw to stay alive rather than just one day all being dead. Enjoy the trip!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts