Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 3 ft tank with a 1ft Silver arowana & 9 chiclids. Fluval 306 is used as filter. As the Arowana is growing fast i got a new 6ft tank

I clean the filter once in 3/4 weeks and also change 10-20% of water once in 2 weeks.

Kept as clear bottom(no decorations/landscaping), so that i can see any dirt and suck it out often

With the same no of fish, will the current 306 filter be enough ?

If not, can i add another Fluval 306/Ehiem 350/Sunsun 402B OR shud i upgrade to new filter with higher capacity ?

Also is it worth buying a 2 yrs old, used Canister filter at half the price ?

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
Glad to hear you upgraded to a 6 foot tank as I've heard Arowana need a larger tank to be able to swim and turn around.

Which cichlids do you have now and how large are they?

Since your tank is bare bottom and you siphon dirt out often, the current 306 may be sufficient as long as it properly maintained. The only way to be sure is to test your aquarium water to know that the filter is capable of processing ammonia and nitrite for the bioload.

It wouldn't hurt to add another filter and as long as the used filter works and has parts available, I don't see why you shouldn't buy it.

I would increase your water change schedule though to remove nitrates and replenish minerals normally found in tap water.

What are you feeding your fish now and how often?

I have no experience with keeping an Arowana so can't offer recommendations on keeping them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hopefully you thick glass lids or something with weight for the arowana. If not, you might come home and find him on the other side of the room. It might be instinctual, but if he sees a fly or something flying above the aquarium, he might try to jump for it. It's weird.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts