Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a sale on Craigslist today that i couldn't pass up. I got an entire 55G setup with a tank, a stand, and lights
a sump with bio-balls, all the hoses, and overflow box (these still have $149 and $49 price tag on them)
9 month old Mag 700gpm pump
and 2 powerheads, not sure what brand.
.....all for $150

OK here are my few questions.... He had this set up as a salt water tank, so i will need to clean everything pretty good. what is the best way to clean all of this, mainly the bio-balls? I was thinking maybe soak them in bleach and then rinse really good. Would that work?

Second, I am moving my current 40G mbuna setup to the 55. with the 40, i just have a powerfilter that hangs on the top. I was thinking i would fill the 55 with half new water, and half water from the 40G and run both the sump and hang-on filter together for a week or 2. Is this correct?

and finally, I feel like the 700gpm pump might cause to much water movement for the fish. Is that possible, or am i just worrying too much? I didn't measure how much water it was really moving, but it seemed like quite a bit. (i set it all up to make sure everything worked) I've never used powerheads, or even seen how they are set up, so i don't plan on using them. Are they really necessary?

Oh, and i have 12 mbuna between 2" and 4" long...Had them since Feb.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm still relatively new to the hobby but I'm learning alot and having fun.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Since it was saltwater, 99% of the organisms that can survive in SW can't survive in FW. Regardless, a very dilute bleach soak isn't a terrible idea, but I'd be more concerned with removing the hard water stains from everything, and thoroughly washing(and subsequently drying) the inside of the stand. The salt creep and all that can easily break down the stand, so be sure it's in excellent shape before filling the tank. Scrubbing every glass surface with CLR, vinegar, or other similar products(acidic) and a razor blade is probably your best bet, but be very careful around the silicone seams.

Since it was likely a reef setup(by the insane water movement), you probably don't need the powerheads, but hold onto them, as you might find yourself wishing you had some flow in a dead spot that you find after your rocks are set up.

With the 700gpH pump, you should be fine. It's slightly higher turnover than I have in my 75 gallon tank, but I'd increase my turnover for free if I had the choice. You'd be best off building an under-sand-jet setup to reduce the amount of water coming out from any one area. There are some great links in the DIY and Library section concerning this. It's basically just PVC with home-made nozzles(very easy to make) so you get lots of water movement all over the tank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha yea i meant gpH not gpM.
you said wash the inside of the stand?? It's wood, so would i just scrub it with a wet sponge or something?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If you have a scrub brush, I think it would probably be a good idea. Saltwater setups have this great ability to get salt EVERYWHERE. The term is "Salt Creep."

When salt gets onto/into wood, it brings water with it, and the more salt on the wood, the more water on the wood, and the quicker it rots. It's important to make sure the structure is in excellent condition. I suppose even if the stand is junk, it's a great deal on a tank and everything else and getting a new stand(especially for a 55gallon) would be pretty inexpensive.

You don't really need to fill with old water so long as the parameters are the same. It would be a great "clean-out" to just start with fresh water. You just want to make sure to not clean out the power filter. I'd probably run the power filter for at least 2 weeks on the aquarium, then if you don't want it to stay on the tank permanently, take the media out and put it in the sump/wet-dry filter as a sort of seed for the filter for another few weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks for the help.

I will probably make a stand for it soon. i made the stand for my 40G and made it 36" tall, 12" taller than the 55G stand, so the new tank is way shorter than my old, and looks funny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts