Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently cycled my tank and introduced a bunch of 1" juvies. 11 electric yellow, 9 white top hara, and 7 ngara. I am on day 3 and the fish already know that when I come in the room it's feeding time. They all come up to the top of the tank and wait for the flakes.

Here is the issue: The ngara peacocks aren't really eating much. They are the only ones that are staying on the bottom while the white top and yellows all race to the top for the flakes. I'm afraid that the ngara aren't eating enough and will suffer soon if they don't get some food.

Solution: I am feeding with a cichlid mix flake from the guy that I got these fish from (He is a well established breeder in Michigan). I trust him. I also have some New Life 1mm sinking pellets. Should I perhaps soak some of these pellets and let em soak and sink for the ngara to eat hoping that they at least get something? Or should I just continue to watch during feedings and hope that they figure out to get up top?

Also, there isn't really any aggression amongst the fish. The yellows and white tops all just go about the tank while the ngara's all stay in a pack and mostly hang out on the right side of the tank where there is not as much cover as the other side.

Also, it's a 55 gallon tank. Not sure what else I should include for background here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for any suggestions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Try blood worms since they sink or algae eater tablets, i had an electric yellow juvie do the same thing your ngara's are doing, but when he saw the tablets he would eat off of that.... now he comes up just like everyone else... give them time to adjust to you and the tank. sounds over crowded. im no expert but i only had 12 in my 55 when i started it.
i let a pro tell you what to try.
You should always include you'r PH, ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels, just to help you get an answer quicker

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
You probably don't want to feed bloodworms in any tank with mbuna...too fatty and hard to digest.

Also, you would expect peacocks in a mbuna tank to behave exactly the way you describe. This is the reason many peacock/mbuna mixes are troublesome. Even if the mbuna don't pick on them, the mbuna race around like maniacs and the peacocks just want some peace and quiet. They don't compete well with mbuna.

I've had Cynotilapia sp. hara kill peacocks.

Definitely try sinking pellets and dump them in quick so some can get to the peacocks before the mbuna get them all. But if the peacocks fail to thrive, I'd take them out or maybe take out the hara.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok well that is about what I was expecting to hear. The peacocks might need time to adjust and I was also expecting to hear that they aren't really compatible with the mbuna. I did a ton of research and reading on this and other forums on the types of species to stock the tank and then I got there and made the mistake of bringing my girlfriend who loved the look of the ngara's. I asked the breeder what he thought about mixing these species and he showed me one of his tanks that had this exact mix of adults. So, naturally I assumed that it would be ok and he knew what he was doing.

As for the overcrowdedness. Yes I agree but it is only temporary. I had to in order to ensure that I get the proper ratio of fish(1:4 or 1:3 male:female). These are all 1" juvies and for the most part unsexed. Some of them have the vibrant color and I can already ensure that it is a male but I didn't want to risk it and I got some extra to make sure I can get that ratio.

I'll be keeping an eye out for any bullying from the hara. Thanks for the info too.

Chem levels are norm. Ammo - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate 0-10 (after 3 days - can't really tell with the tester: API), pH - 8.3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.