Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hia, so i found this site and am using the "cookie cutter for a 55 gallon tank"

i had an Oscar and pleco in a 55 gallon tank.(given to me) and lost the oscar. after tons of research, i am doing it right (hopefully!)

i am soooooo excited i want to share so, i started a "journal"

i just changed out ugly tourquise mixed rock for pfs. and LOVE it so far.

i have a fuval 305 filter coming ups. i was here today but needed signature i missed it by minutes :(

Now i need to decide which body of water of fish to put in. ????? i really like Zonatum cichlids (cyprichromis???? but don't know what i can get locally.... and or what to get shipped.

so this is my journey. :)

this is the last of the "ugly" rock

pfs sand

i am thinking of getting a digital thermometer and a "backup" heater but haven't researched kinds.....

join my journey.....comment/suggestions always welcome :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
That is one big pleo!

You seem set on your choice and you should get what will make you happy, but a 3 species Mbuna tank would give you a lot of enjoyment from both observation and ease of breeding.

You can't go wrong with any kind of cichlid, they all have big personality and are a joy to keep! :thumb:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is that a 55 gallon wide? I've never seen that.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
natedgg said:
Is that a 55 gallon wide? I've never seen that.
Was also gonna ask about that tank. Seems too deep and not long enough for a 55g. Maybe a 40g breeder or the pic is kinda wacky. What the dimensions of the tank?

I have a fluval 405 and am very pleased with it so far so iim sure u will be hhappy w your new filter as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JoelRHale said:
That is one big pleo!

You seem set on your choice and you should get what will make you happy, but a 3 species Mbuna tank would give you a lot of enjoyment from both observation and ease of breeding.

You can't go wrong with any kind of cichlid, they all have big personality and are a joy to keep! :thumb:
not set totally, i really like what i have seen and read about mbuna i am seriously considering them.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
mountainrock said:
the tank is 36x19x18 and on the tank calculator it is 53.3gallon... so ???? i dunno. :)
It'd be called a '50' on tank lists, sized at 36*18*18. I'd go ahead and call it that to avoid confusion with typical 55's. Nize tank, btw, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
prov356 said:
mountainrock said:
the tank is 36x19x18 and on the tank calculator it is 53.3gallon... so ???? i dunno. :)
It'd be called a '50' on tank lists, sized at 36*18*18. I'd go ahead and call it that to avoid confusion with typical 55's. Nize tank, btw, and welcome to the forum.
Yea!!!! thank you, i have had no idea what to say it was. 55 was the closest, so i went with it. :)

that being said what modifications should i make to the "cookie cutter 55gal model" less fish? is there a 50gal set up idea list??? lol

·
Registered
625 Posts
Since it's important to note that the footprint is important, your 50 has a larger footprint than a standard 55.

You could probably do one of the cookie cutters without any change. I may be completely off the mark here since it is a 36" tank, but if the name of the game is square foot for territory claim, I seems like it would work with the extra square half foot in your 50.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got the filter in. that was some task. i'm of old (dumb) school you get a 10gal tank from a garage sale, fill with water and plop fish in it.... lol

i had to cut hoses, prime the tank, cut the intake valve plastic to fit, measure stuff rinse bio media etc.... lol but got her workin....

now, i guess i need to test water and work on figuring out which kind of fish????

there is a lfs that wants me to buy a chemical to get water ready. um what am i supose to do?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't rely solely on chemicals. I made that mistake. You want to look into fishless cycling. There are many post on here about it and guides in the library section. It is going to take you about a month to get your tank properly prepared for fish. Trust me though, it is better to wait. It is much more work if you do it the wrong way, not to mention unhealthy for the fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
natedgg said:
Don't rely solely on chemicals. I made that mistake. You want to look into fishless cycling. There are many post on here about it and guides in the library section. It is going to take you about a month to get your tank properly prepared for fish. Trust me though, it is better to wait. It is much more work if you do it the wrong way, not to mention unhealthy for the fish.
great! again thanks. i have seen posts related to fishless cycling but hadn't got that far.

The lady at the lfs is very pushy and told me i need this that and the other. I explained i was just looking to see what kind of fish i liked then i would research them. she told me. "you don't do the research, you bring in a water sample and then we (the store) tell you what kind of fish you can have....

ok then.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wouldn't worry about her :) Just get your cycle going. There are ways to adjust your water chemistry if need be. You'll be able to get whatever fish you want, given the tank dimensions and fish availability. If you don't want to rely on the LFS to test your water, the API test kit is popular, and you'll need something anyhow to do fishless cycling.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Pharmace ... B001EUG8RO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so i have read a lot about the fishless cycling and if i understand right, i add x amonia everyday depending on reading until nitrates(sp) spike then continue to add til reach 0. I am a bit confused and will continue to read until i get it right.

my next question, is i have my pleco in the tank will adding the amonia hurt her/him? (kids named it lilly :) )

side note, Nate, i like your tank :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is currently a thread going talking about cycling. It is the 1000th fishless cycle thread. It might give you some more clarity on cycling.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=228514

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't fishless cycle with fish in the tank :) At the ppm you are going to be having your ammonia at, you'll most definitely kill the pleco quickly. However, that raises a question. Did you happen to have the old filter hooked up and running on this tank from your oscar before? If you kept it going, that would of probably been seeded enough to get some fish in your tank. But it sounds like you swapped it out completely, so the bacteria are dead. If it is still running, what is it? You can run two filters on that tank (most people do here).

As far as my tank, I guess you're talking about the stock (since I'm too lazy to post a picture! :p) But thanks! I like the hara's and the labs colors together. Currently have 9 hara's and 3 labs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So, looking back at your first post with pictures, it looks like you do have your old filter still running. Is it still going? What is it? If the GPH are rated high enough, you might not have to fishless cycle and run your fluval in conjunction with the one you currently have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, i have to hang on to you nate. :).... =D> :popcorn:

yes i had the old filter running, when i lost the oscar the water was cloudy. so, thinking the filter died, i got a new whisper filter. then began researching and bought the fluval. then decided the old filter wasn't dead just couldn't handle the size of my tank and it fit much better than the new whisper.

soooooooooo.... i have the old filter in with the fluval and 2 air stones.

i have seen the 1000 cycle thread but then lost it so thanks for the link.

i just found a 95 gal on craigslist for $175! i really enjoyed the oscar i had and would like another but promise to be a "responsible" fish owner :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fluval 305 filter, old whisper filter (for 40gal) 2 air stones (kinda floating ... lol) and "Lilly" :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.