Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a new tank, I used the african cichlid sand from carib-sea. Instructions said not to wash it.. The tank has been running for over 72 hours now and the water is still cloudy. I was thinking of doing a water change, but I also have started my cycle with pure ammonia 2 days ago. Will changig the water and cleaning out the filter sponges screw up my cycle? Or should I just wait it out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What filtration are you running? Did you add in the little packets that came with the sand? What are dims of your tank and how many bags did you add?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Cleaning the filter sponges will interfere with your cycle...I would wait.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use the Caribsea sand also. Even if you added the packets to settle the particles, don't be alarmed if it takes 7 - 14 days to clear up completely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, I wil wait it out... I was just wondering becasue I used the same caribsea sand, BUT reef sand in my reef tank and it cleared up in like 2 days... I guess its more important to get the cycle going right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think Kipnlilo is correct. You have plenty of filtration... the cloudiness isn't hurting anything, it will settle down in a few days. I wouldn't mess with it either. It doesn't appear to be an uncommon thing with this substrate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all!

Im gonna wait it out - I'm waiting on the cycle anyway... Teh more I think about it the more I am wondering why I am even questioning it...

·
Registered
229 Posts
AV8TOR said:
My CarbSea African Cichlid Mix says to rinse, I wonder why not their sand.
Bonecrusher is correct, some have live bacteria and some don't. The ones with the live say "do not rinse". Now mind you, this doesn't mean you can't rinse it. If you do rinse, it simply loses the live bacteria and on the plus side, won't be cloudy if you rinsed it thoroughly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have cloudy water - but on a plus side - my cycle has started - 2 days ago I put some ammonia in and I already have some nitrite showing up!

·
Registered
229 Posts
bonecrusher said:
I have cloudy water - but on a plus side - my cycle has started - 2 days ago I put some ammonia in and I already have some nitrite showing up!
Exactly! This is why I like to use the living bacteria vs non when doing a fishless cycle. Seems to help imo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after 2 weeks of dealing with cloudy water and just waiting it out since i figured the cycling process could cause some cloudy water -- I decided to try seachem Clarity today. been in the tank for about 3 hours and the water is now crystal clear. Tank is also at 0 nitrite now and I think I am about ready for fish!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same substrate and did the same thing you did. I'm about 7 days in. Ammonia dropping, NItrites up there and the water is still slightly cloudy but less than it was when I started. Keep the faith. When starting new tanks you always will have that first bacterial bloom (aka new tank syndrome) and you just wait it out. If your filtration is good and you do regular water changes...it will clear up soon. Keep the faith!

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I have never had a bacterial bloom when starting a tank. The secret is to wash the heck out of the substrate.

I don't see the advantage of substrates that are supposed to help with the cycle, so I don't use them. If I did I would wash in spite of the advice.

We occasionally hear about problems with additives like clarifiers. Mostly in the Illness section.

I always prefer to go natural and avoid chemical solutions that might carry some risk, no matter how miniscule.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.