Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks... i decided after 15 years to set up a new cichlid tank. I cleaned it and have all the equipment ready. I added 3 inches of cichlid sustrate sand then filled the tank with water.... as expected its very cloudy from the sustrate. What should i do? Will the cloudiness eventually dissipate and get clear on its own as sand settles to the bottom? Should i keep the filter on or off (i.e. does it help clear the water or make it worse ?) .. how long will it take to dissipate? i added 3 small packets of biomagnet clarifier as well. Any experience/suggestions? much appreciated. joey

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Filter on always. In general, don't use chemicals for cloudiness or anything else except for dechlorinator.

Three inches is a lot of substrate, consider one inch or two inches at most.

There are two ways to go. Either wait it out and let the filter eventually remove the particles. Or remove the substrate and wash it more thoroughly. It seems like a lot of work, but it really is not that bad (two hours) and then you have crystal clear water immediately.

Some substrates are easier to clean than others...some "cichlid sands" are among the hard to clean ones. Pool filter sand is much easier and cost effective and natural looking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much! I have the filter on and just the cloudy water and cichlid sustrate in the tank. So, safe to say that if i do nothing and wait it out it will 'eventually' clear up? i am patient, just dont want to make a mistake. Would rather not re-start the whole process if eventually it 'will' clear up. Thanks again! Joey

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
It will eventually clear up. Churn the substrate daily to get as many particles as possible up into the water column so the filters can remove. Settling will happen but this is not effective in solving the cloudiness problem early in your tank set up since the fish will dig and you will have to churn to clean ongoing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much. It's already almost clear. The ph is about 7.8 and about 78 degrees. How long should I wait before I put fish in the tank ? It's been cycling for 2 days. Is it same to put fish in ??? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
You need to wait to cycle a tank before it's ready for fish and this process can take 6 to 8 weeks if doing a fish-less cycle. Check the link in my signature for the article in the C-F Library.

Another option is to buy a bacteria in a bottle type product though some products don't work as advertised.

You will need a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH so you can test your water parameters. I like the API Master test kit since it has the basic testers you need. There are other brands out there but I tend to stay away from the test strips since they don't usually contain what you need.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Deeda is absolutely right. And churn up the substrate from top to bottom to get the rest of the dust out of the tank over several days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts