Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm an italian guy ( so sorry for my english ) and I want to buy a new tank for Neolamprologus Brichardi. I've found a 100x30x45 cm tank and the glass thickness is 6 mm, is it enough?
i'm going to use the internal filter (450 Lt/h), I hope that for the first period it will be okay.
Otherwise Which species can I inser? Also considering a possible Malawi tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
It is the right length for brichardi but on the small side for most Malawi.

Do a species tank.

IDK about the glass thickness, maybe someone else will chime in. Was the tank made to hold water? Not a reptile tank?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. So, ruled out the malawi option, I'll insert tanganika fishes. Are there other options more than L. Brichardi? I like very much Julidochromis, can they live with Brichardi?
I've just bought a Juwel Rio 180 that has 8mm-thick-glasses and I'll use the internal filter of this aquarium.
What color of sand should be better?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Brichardi are hard on other tank mates when they spawn, most people find a species tank works best with them.

If you would prefer Julidochromis or Calvus they can each do well in a 39" tank but I would not do both. Either can do well with shellies though in a 39" tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
Brichardi are hard on other tank mates when they spawn, most people find a species tank works best with them.

If you would prefer Julidochromis or Calvus they can each do well in a 39" tank but I would not do both. Either can do well with shellies though in a 39" tank.
Ok, thank you, I get it.
So the options are:
- Brichardi - single species
- Lamprologus buscheri - singles species ?
- Julido/Altolamprologus ( which species ? ) + Caudopunctatus/Ocellatus

What about Leleupi?

Tomorrow I'm going to look for rocks to create the layout.

Sorry again for my english, I'm ashamed

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Leleupi will kill shellies, and I am not sure I would do them in a a 39" tank anyway. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Go with a small, peaceful Julidochromis like Gombe. Any calvus will do...whatever your preference...black...white, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In case of Calvus/Julido + shellies, would they successfully breed?
And Lamprologus buscheri can live with other species?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Buscheri are a little tricky...see the Cichlid-forum Library for an article on them. They act like leleupi to some extent, so I am thinking no shellies and not sure how they will be in a smaller tank.

The calvus or julidochromis and shellies will spawn, but to raise fry you will need to remove the babies from the tank and raise them separately. You may get some survivor fry, especially with shellies and julidochromis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And can't I keep two pair of shellies + one of julidochromis or 2 pairs of julido + one of shellies?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
The fish don't always follow your wishes. If you stock with six unsexed juveniles you are MOST likely to end up with one pair...two pairs can happen but it is unusual. Especially in a tank that is not that long...chances are better in a 72" tank than a 39" tank.

If you don't want to rehome fish, you could choose a shellie species that colonizes rather than pairs: multifasciatus. If you buy six...they are likely to be fine together throughout their lifetimes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to have a 15 g with Multifasciatus, I'm tired of them :lol:
A last question, I promise, a pair of calvus + a pair of julidochromis ?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
I would not put two rock dwellers in a tank that is less than 48" long.

A pair of rock dwellers and a pair of caudopunctatus.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Mine ignored the shells and excavated between and under 2 rocks. Worth a try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I've decided on Altolaprologus + Caudopunctatus.
Can I freely choose between Calvus and Compressiceps? I much prefer Compressiceps

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I've decided on Altolamprologus + Caudopunctatus.
Can I freely choose between calvus and compressions? I much prefer compressiceps

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Nice looking. How deep is that substrate?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts