Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still having some problems with my cichlid peacock tank! As I have stated before, I began 5-6 mos ago with the plan to start an all male collection of a variety of peacocks! For the first few mos all went well until we found out one was female, so we took her and donated her to the LFS, they assured me the rest were all male. One week later, the night before last actually, I had a suspision that one was a female and holding. Since Im new to African Cichlids was not sure, but just in case went out and bought a breeding net to hang on inside of tank. Caught mom, which turned into a huge ordeal, having to remove most of the rocks and landscaping. As soon as we got her in the net she spit out 20-30 babies. They very well could be mixed, but we wanted to learn how this process works and how they grow, so we released mom in the tank and have babies in breeding tank. I know I did not get any positive remarks from this but honestly I am learning alot with them and I certainly dont plan on selling them or try to get them registered with the most fabulous fish society, its just been a good learning experience. My question is, the LFS guy told me after looking at my photos of the tank, that I had actually too many rock structures and too many hiding places, that it would cause them to be too teritorial. He said to move the rocks and such to the back of the tank so they could not swim or chace each other through"territories" Now that I have done that the fish dont seem as happy or social and some of them I havnt seen in days which is unusual. What are you thoughts on the subject? for once I would really appreciate a positive response, it would really boost my confidence level up a notch, as so far it seems I have done nothing right in your opinions and it gets discouraging!!! I just really love fishkeeping and value your opinions, but between the forum and internet, LFS etc. I feel it seems no one really know the answers, just what works for them, so I end up very confused and frustrated!!! Thanks in advanse for your time in reading this very long letter!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
There is no one answer that is the only one that works, and all anyone can do is tell you their own experiences and what they have "learned-but-not-tried" from other fishkeepers they respect.

My advice is to choose a fish-coach you trust and stick with their advice. Of course I am partial to Cichlid-forum as a fish-coach.

Peacocks IME are not that territorial and do like a fair amount of open water. So fewer rocks in a peacock tank is not bad advice, but why change the rocks unless you have an aggression problem? You didn't mention one. If aggression is a problem, it is probably more because of the stray female in an all-male tank (fighting over them) than territories I would say.

All-male tanks are prone to the struggles you report and if you are not enjoying the process, why not switch? A single species peacock tank would allow you to enjoy the fry process and eliminate the hassles of removing unwanted females and hybrid fry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have not had a real aggression problem yet, just had to remove most everything in order to catch the holding female. From now on will just let nature take its course, they will probably get eaten and provide food for the rest of the fish as one member pointed out. I really do enjoy the fish I have and dont want to go to an all one species as I have so much time money and effort with the ones I have, just want to do what is best for the fish in the long run! Its just been frustrating with all the differnent opinions, but your advise has been well taken and I appreciate your time with me. I really enjoy reading all the questions and answers of this forum and have learned alot. My grandaughter is also enjoying watching the baby fish get bigger, and has been a good learning experience for her as well. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Well if you want to keep going with the all-male then it WOULD be a good idea to remove females. The reason is the excess of males will harass the minority of females causing stress, sickness and death.

It would be one thing if a female was accidentally killed, but then you would have your all-male tank. Unfortunately what can happen is she can get sick and infect the tank, wiping out everyone.

Also unfortunately the hybrid fry might not all get eaten and your cycle of an unsettled tank will continue forever (more females, LOL).

Finally, I would invest in a group of 5-6 Synodontis multipunctatus. They will help with fry control.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just wanted to add my agreence so you felt more confident in the advice given. First off, I am sorry to hear about your expirience so far with looking for advice and help on this forum. I can't stand when those of us that have been doing this for a while act "high and might" or "holier than thou". We were all there at one point. I can say that there are some people here that are positive contributors and that it is a good idea to find those people out and listen to them as kind of a "coach" as it was said before.

All male peacocks is a beautiful set up and typically is on the mild side of aggression. I have kept an all male peacock tank with rock formations all over and see some chasing, but as long as you dont see anyone at the top corners of your tank, or with chunks out of the side, fins constantly torn, or hard breathing on the bottom, then it is just natural and normal aggression. The female is the worry. she may not last too long in an all male tank.

Sounds like you have a great set up. what fish do you keep?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wait a minute! you are in Alaska!? how dare you keep cichlids in that crazy cold state! jk ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the fish I have in there now are ( the ones I know any way)
Yellow Peacock
Rubin Red
German
3 clown loaches
3-4 bushynose ( which had babies already too ,dont know if any survived though)
the rest are just a variety of peacock there are only 8 peacocks total and I have 4 more peacocks and 3 yellow labs in the 30G qt right now, along with a few more bushynose. Im still not sure of the sex of several of them, I still think there may be at least one more female in the cichlid tank, making that ( I think) 4-5 male to 2 female at this time. Still not sure of the sex of 2 of the 4 peacocks in the qt or the yellow labs! Seems that when I buy them the ones selling them cant tell for sure either and they are generally 2-3" long when I get them. Yes living in Alaska does not give me much to choose from in breeders, we only have 1 LFS, so Im just learning as I go!! Thank you all so much for the help and encouragement, greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
P.S I posted a video of the 75 G tank on the photography and video forum if you care to take a look and tell me what you think!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey man it's stepping stones right. Besides don't you love looking at your fish? That's what matters. Alot of people prefer guidelines to be rules. I'm not like that I have a big mixmatch of fish that work great. I love peacock tanks so keep going with your male setup. What I would do is get different breeds of males. Better for their tolerance of one another and looks great. I will watch your video once I get back from the movies tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts