Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to make a long story short all my tanks were massacred by raccoons and I lost over 300$ worth of fish:(. So that's that. Now it's been about a month and a half since then and I'm ready to start a new tank. I want to do a single specimen peacock tank. I've been looking at different peacocks and I want to start with a juvenile. Should I buy a bunch of young males or just one that sticks out in the aquarium. I am going to be buying them in person. I'd like to hear some suggestions on some peacocks that I could get I have access to any peacock. I prefer a blue male.

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts
A single species tank with males and females? I'd buy kandeense. Supposedly beautiful and timid enough to tolerate multiple males.

Pretty rare to find more than one colored up male/species in a store, and a juvenile will not be colored up. I'd buy a flock of unsexed juveniles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
A single species tank with males and females? I'd buy kandeense. Supposedly beautiful and timid enough to tolerate multiple males.

Pretty rare to find more than one colored up male/species in a store, and a juvenile will not be colored up. I'd buy a flock of unsexed juveniles.
Trust me this store I go to is ridiculous they have a whole section dedicated to aulancara with colored up males in there own tanks. They also have groups of "unsexed" juveniles but most of the time I went there at least one Juvi was colored up. But I don't really like the kandeese their body is too dark I need a bright colored blue. Any other suggestions? Also I'm not interested in breeding I want a single specimen tank, I'm going to add a school of platinum tetras which I've had success with in the past they are really tough and can tank a beating plus they're georgous.

·
Registered
874 Posts
FireHorn123 said:
I'm going to add a school of platinum tetras which I've had success with in the past they are really tough and can tank a beating plus they're georgous.
:-?

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts
You mean one peacock and a bunch of tetras? If that is the case, why buy more than one? Just choose the brightest blue one you see.

I do like my Stuartgranti cobue.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Sorry to hear your woes. Were all your tanks outside? Or on a porch? How did raccoons kill your fish? I think one just got into my grill on the patio. Or a opossum.

The only thing I can think of similar to your proposal is people that show their fish at contests across the country. They choose their top dogs and house them individually. But they're in a fishroom, in sight of other fish. Not sure how a lone Malawi fish would look and act in a tank with tetras. Probably hide a lot.

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts
I also meant to share that raccoons ARE a bane to fishkeepers. I have had them decimate tanks on my deck for the summer, just raising plants in these tanks, no fish.

They took apart the pots and everything...they are so curious.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iggy Newcastle said:
Sorry to hear your woes. Were all your tanks outside? Or on a porch? How did raccoons kill your fish? I think one just got into my grill on the patio. Or a opossum.

The only thing I can think of similar to your proposal is people that show their fish at contests across the country. They choose their top dogs and house them individually. But they're in a fishroom, in sight of other fish. Not sure how a lone Malawi fish would look and act in a tank with tetras. Probably hide a lot.
Yeah all my tanks were on my porch. The little ******** broke through the screen but I am redoing the screening because I think the spot they pushed in was a weak spot. I used to have a dragon blood breeding colony that wasn't working out very well the male was about 7" and he terrorized the females so I took them out and replaced them with some platinum tetras that I had in my 30g long gourami tank(which also got massacred by *****) and put them in with the male and the tank worked out perfectly the balance in the tank was really cool. At night it looked like I was looking into the bottom of lake Malawi. That was the biggest loss I've ever had in fishkeeping and it won't happen again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
You mean one peacock and a bunch of tetras? If that is the case, why buy more than one? Just choose the brightest blue one you see.

I do like my Stuartgranti cobue.
Wow the cobues are absolutely stunning. Great suggestion :D I will update you guys when I choose hopefully it as nice as my old tank!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only fish that I still have is my dovii which was inside, hmm I wonder what would happen if a **** tried to snag him I'd imagine they would have some trouble with a 25in beast LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts