Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just bought a new tank from someone on craigs list. The tank is 6ft long x 18inchx 25inch 150gallons im assuming. The tank itself is 3 years old and came with 2 magnum 350's and a stand.

My question is the red belly pacu's that were inside make these wierd nick marks on the glass. What is the best way i can go about cleaning that?

Second is i have an old 30 gallon tank sitting around and was thinking of creating that into a sump...is that a good idea? I know i have tons of stocking and filtration options but would love some input.

Im really stoked about the tank and cant wait till its done, i plan to have a UGJ system and intense aquascaping

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
I don't think that the nicks are from the Pacus. They could be from the rocks the previous owner had in there or from scratches caused by gravel/sand getting caught when cleaning the tank. Your best bet would be to choose the side that looks the best for your viewing area.

I'm not personally familiar with using sumps but a 30G should work. Check out the DIY section & do a search for sumps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the nicks are high up on the tank and they dont look like your typical scratches. They are half moon like abrasions i guess is the best way to describe them. Ill definitely give the Do it yourself section a look.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It most likely was because of the pacu. My neighbor down the street had a pacu shatter the side pane on a 75 gallon tank. They like ramming the glass and can go right through it.

You can easily make a sump out of a 30 gallon.

Tannable75 has a good DIY thread you can read it here. :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow awesome link, that is exactly what i needed. Ugly but very effective and most important, cost effective. Im thinking that sump, plus a AQ 110 and and FX5 will be my filtration. Now to get the tank cleaned, painted, and the same for the stand.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It doesn't need to be pretty though. As long as it works that is all that matters. It is going to be inside your stand anyway.

What I would suggest doing which he didn't do/hasn't done is put the lid on the bucket and a glass/Plexiglas top on the open areas of the sump. Open top wet/dry sumps evaporate faster just like tanks without tops so some type of tight fitting cover will keep the evaporation lower than it would be.

To make it easier to remove the lid from the bucket you cut a hole in the lid the size of your drain pipe and then make a radius cut to the edge of the lid. That will make it so that you can just twist one side up and the other down so you can just slide the lid off when you want to clean the filter pad.

A cover on the bucket and the top of the sump also keeps unwanted stuff from getting inside of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.