Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm getting back into the hobby (it's been a while) and was curious if I could add livestock gradually over a period of 2 or 3 months or if I needed to add all the livestock at once?

I was thinking of keeping three species in groups so I would add a group every two or three weeks.

Will this cause any problems if I add gradually?

Thanks,
Michael.

·
Super Moderator
40,386 Posts
All at once allows you to cycle with ammonia (sparing the fish the toxins) and this will support a full load of fish.

You can add them gradually.

The problem with adding them gradually is that you risk a mini cycle with each addition and it takes several months...allow a month between additions.

Also the first fish you add will claim territories, so the new additions will have to compete with the existing fish to claim their territories. Be sure to add the most timid group first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I am worried the first group would claim the tank and make life hard for newcomers, your post makes good points.

I think I will save up and kick off the cycle once I've got enough cash for everything I was after. It's going to be better for the fish I think.

Cheers :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts