Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to order a new set-up show tank for the living room. What are your opinions on the following:

For the tank I am torn between these two tanks:

6' x 2' x 2' standard 180
5' x 2.5' x 25" custom 185

I really like the idea of the 2.5' front to back width as it will really increase the options for aquascaping. I'm just worried I'll miss the extra foot on the 6" tank. What's your opinion?

Filtration:

I am currently looking at the lifereef 200/240 wetdry: http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html Click: lifereef products > wet/dry trickle filters for images and specs. Can anyone else chime in on any other filtration methods/products that will do a good job on a tank this size? Should I be looking at canisters vs. the wet/dry?

For the stand I am having a custom 42" stand and 12" hood built. Either tank will be beautiful in this thing!

Thanks!

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
I just sat here and thought about this for a long time. I even got out my measuring tape. I would get the 6 footer, 24" is still a lot to work with, I'm exited about having 18" in the tank I'm setting up now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,006 Posts
Depends on what you're going to stock with. If you were going to run rocks along the back and wanted to leave a wide sand area for sand sifters, then the 5 footer with more front to back would make sense. That's just an example. So, I think we have to start with what you're interested in keeping. It may not matter in some cases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
I personally would go with the 6' tank.

As for the wet/dry I'm having a hard time with that price... it was like 700 bucks... you could get a used aquarium and build the same thing for less than 100 and it wouldn't even be that hard.

If thats what you want then do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got moba fry in the grow out tank that will go in there. What I plan on doing is keeping Enantiopus, cyps and altos with the mobas until they (mobas) get larger then probably move out the smaller fish and figure out the frontosa tank mates (if any) from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PauloSilva said:
As for the wet/dry I'm having a hard time with that price... it was like 700 bucks... you could get a used aquarium and build the same thing for less than 100 and it wouldn't even be that hard.

If thats what you want then do it.
it's worse than that - I added a couple of built in pressurized chemical filter cylinders and a pump. With shipping the whole thing came out to roughly $1,250 :eek: That's why I'm kind of on the fence about using it. I was thinking about using a couple of Eheim 2080s but that'll run me roughly $1,100. Either way the filtration is going to be more than the tank!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Your mobas would really appreciate the extra foot in length on the 6' tank. They need that room to get away from each other. A 5' tank would be pushing it with them when they get bigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
ahud said:
Giving up 6" of width for an extra 12" of length sounds like a no brainer to me :thumb:
I agree, plus the Moba's will appreciate the longer foot print .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
713J said:
PauloSilva said:
As for the wet/dry I'm having a hard time with that price... it was like 700 bucks... you could get a used aquarium and build the same thing for less than 100 and it wouldn't even be that hard.

If thats what you want then do it.
it's worse than that - I added a couple of built in pressurized chemical filter cylinders and a pump. With shipping the whole thing came out to roughly $1,250 :eek: That's why I'm kind of on the fence about using it. I was thinking about using a couple of Eheim 2080s but that'll run me roughly $1,100. Either way the filtration is going to be more than the tank!
Are you saying you've already bought all that equipment?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
406 Posts
713J said:
I was thinking about using a couple of Eheim 2080s but that'll run me roughly $1,100.
How?? Theyre not even $400 each. :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
60gallon said:
713J said:
I was thinking about using a couple of Eheim 2080s but that'll run me roughly $1,100.
How?? Theyre not even $400 each. :-?
Sounds like $1100 would get you 3 of these then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PauloSilva said:
713J said:
PauloSilva said:
As for the wet/dry I'm having a hard time with that price... it was like 700 bucks... you could get a used aquarium and build the same thing for less than 100 and it wouldn't even be that hard.

If thats what you want then do it.
it's worse than that - I added a couple of built in pressurized chemical filter cylinders and a pump. With shipping the whole thing came out to roughly $1,250 :eek: That's why I'm kind of on the fence about using it. I was thinking about using a couple of Eheim 2080s but that'll run me roughly $1,100. Either way the filtration is going to be more than the tank!
Are you saying you've already bought all that equipment?
Not yet. About to go to the Caymans for a week then probably make the final decision when I get back in town.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top