Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Nice to see ya back in it fmueller. Leleupi are a great fish, I have some myself of the orange variety and love them. Man Ohio to New Zealand, that's quite a change. Bet it is beautiful there, NZ is one of three countries I would love to see at some point in my life.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve C said:
Nice to see ya back in it fmueller. Leleupi are a great fish, I have some myself of the orange variety and love them. Man Ohio to New Zealand, that's quite a change. Bet it is beautiful there, NZ is one of three countries I would love to see at some point in my life.
Thanks. Should you ever make it to NZ, there is basically no other choice than coming through Auckland. I'd be happy to show you the tank, and I'd have a beer in the fridge too. :wink:

There are very few fish available in NZ, nothing that hasn't been known in the hobby since the 1970s, a lot of the fish for sale are very poor quality, and all of them are super expensive by Ohio standards.

In the end, my main goal was to get good quality fish that I don't have to feel sorry for when I look at them. I reckon this lot should fit the bill. I would have loved to get more than the 14 Tropheus I got, but it's all I could get my hands on. With 6 Leleupi, there is a very good chance of getting a pair. Hopefully soon I will be able to take advantage of the inflated prices here. :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Which tropheus do you have and are they mature and spawning?

By the way, my wife has cousins in NZ and we have been over three times from Canada in last ten years. Much of it reminds us of Canada's Vancouver Island: temperate, ocean, mountains, lots of rain in places. If we could only get them to drive on the other side of the road I'd be more comfortable when I rent a car!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Nice looking tank. Those Maswa must have cost a small fortune. They're expensive enough over here these days.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nice tank. I especially like those Tropheus. Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
Nice to see you with some good looking fish and a tank set up again Frank!!

What are you doing for filtration in this tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
8) All is right with the world again...Frank has cichlids.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
punman - I only have the ones in the video. They are Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa', and it will be quite a while before they are mature and spawning. Your description of NZ is pretty accurate. Regarding the driving, I have lived in Germany and the US as well as Australia and NZ. You get used to either side, and eventually it makes no difference to you any more. What I don't think I could get used to is driving with a car that has the steer wheel on the wrong side with regard to the side of the road you are driving on.

noddy - fish here are generally outrageously expensive, especially in the stores. A small mbuna fry - even a hybrid - can fetch NZ$35 (US$24). I found a local breeder who gave me a good price on the Tropheus. They were cheaper than the leleupi, actually. Not as cheap as in Ohio of course, but a real bargain for NZ. I am hoping to exploit the price gauging here as soon as they start breeding. :wink:

ken31cay - many thanks!

Deeda - thanks. The filtration question will be answered in an upcoming article. In a nutshell, the tank has a sump system that is above water level. Behind the wall behind the tank is a kind of crawl space under the back of the house. Floor level of that space is about 2/3 up the height of the tank. There is a plastic tote on the left hand side of the tank and one on the right. Those totes are connected to the tank via PVC pipe so that the water in the totes is level with that in the tank. In one tote is the pump, which pumps the water up into a set of three connected barrels. From the last barrel the water drains into the second tote, from where it can return to the tank. It works well for the space, it's totally quiet, but there is not as much flow as I was hoping for, and the whole thing was way more trouble to set up than it's worth.

DJRansome - I was considering guppies for a while... Naa, just kidding. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Too bad they can't keep those dots thoughout their lives.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Okay - I switched browsers and now I see the video. I have had Tropheus duboisi (Halembe) since 9 months ago when I bought twenty inch and a half juveniles f1 from Spencer Jack in Winnipeg. Six months later they had lost their spots (boo hoo) and now they are 3.5 inches in length and showing breeding behavior but no fry yet.

In the past I have had Tropheus Kirizas and Chimba red, and at that size they were already spawning.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJRansome - I don't know if adults with spots would look as cute as fry with spots. The good thing is, they will hopefully produce lots of new ones with spots!

puman - I wouldn't worry about them not spawning yet. Give them time. I've had two colonies of Tropheus before - Pemba Orange Flame and Ikola (Kaiser). I found their behavior quite different from each other. It would not surprise me if if different colonies started spawning at different times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.