Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a new 55g Tang community tank. Substrate is crushed coral/Aragonite capped with PFS. Stock is caudo/calvus/cyp. Filter is a Fluval406 plus a sponge filter and a 100gph powerhead.

I am using Tang buffer plus lake salt (both Seachem) to hit a target pH of 8-8.4. Tank is cycled with seeded media and Amm/NO2/NO3 are all at zero right now. NO fish in the tank.

1. How long should I wait after adding the buffer+salt before measuring pH+hardness
2. Should the test be repeated AFTER a period of time to ensure that the tank is "holding the parameters" - what is the delay for this?
3. When can fish be introduced - immediately after target range is reached OR to after some time (how long?)
4. pH swings are bad for fish - how do I introduce the fish to the tank after I get them from the LFS? Should I acclimate them in a smaller tank with the big tank parameters and then add?

Appreciate any help that can be given. I have not messed with water parameters (7.6 out of the tap) for any of my other fish tanks before that need slightly higher or slightly lower pH. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
What pH does your LFS keep them at? Unless they are at 8 I would probably go with your 7.6 out of the tap. What is your KH...is there a concern about pH swings?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
What pH does your LFS keep them at? Unless they are at 8 I would probably go with your 7.6 out of the tap. What is your KH...is there a concern about pH swings?
There is so much posted about the Tang lake parameters. My Malawi tank has no intervention and the pH is a rock solid 7.6-7.8. I am ONLY buying tank raised but the LFS keeps them in +8 conditions (they dont breed so I dont know the source tank parameters). I have also read enough to not mess around with water chemistry experiments but as a new Tang keeper I want to increase my chance of success overall and have healthy fish that display their colors/behavior/spawn etc.

What would you (or others) recommend?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would match the LFS tanks when the fish arrive and let your water changes with tap water gradually move the tank pH towards your tap water pH.

I keep all my Tangs at 7.8 and see no better or worse results (health, color, behavior, spawning) at a pH of 8. Stability and clean water are the keys.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
I would match the LFS tanks when the fish arrive and let your water changes with tap water gradually move the tank pH towards your tap water pH.

I keep all my Tangs at 7.8 and see no better or worse results (health, color, behavior, spawning) at a pH of 8. Stability and clean water are the keys.
Thanks DJR - really appreciate the insight. Stability/Clean water, I can provide :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts