Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people think of my design for my new sump

The first section will have no media and will purely be used for water to come in and any heavy particles will settle to be vacuumed out during water changes

The second compartment will contain fine filter wool and coarse filter pads

The third compartment will contain matrix with fine filter wool on top

The fourth compartment I haven't decided what media I'm going to put in yet so any suggestions would be good. I'm thinking something for mechanical filtration.

The fifth compartment will contain the heater and pump.

My tank has a built-in tower/weir where the water flows through into the sump so I'm going to fill this with bio balls so the bio balls are not submerged and water will just through them.

So any comments would be great and thoughts on what i can put in the fourth compartment would be great

·
Registered
48 Posts
How about some bio balls? With most of my sumps thats what I use and they work great since they have a big surface area to contain bacteria on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fishy714 said:
How about some bio balls? With most of my sumps thats what I use and they work great since they have a big surface area to contain bacteria on them.
I will already have them in my weir, but if i cant think of any other media for the last media compartment I will use bio balls

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3569Ryan said:
what advantages will I gain from carbon and how much will I need

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also the pipe coming from my tank to the sump is 30mm (about 1.2 inches) what is the maximum flow rated pump I could get

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Don't worry about the carbon. Overrated and a waste of money. Good idea to keep some on hand just in case you need to get some meds or something out of the water, but not good for day in and day out use IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts