Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Personally, I don’t care for the salt and pepper look. But, what really matters is what you prefer. However, if you do go with a white color, take a look at pool filter sand. It’s much cheaper - and in a lot of cases cleaner - than any substrate you’ll find at the local fish store.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I have tanks with black (carib sea), white (pool filter), or buff colored (play sand) and I think I like the black best for viewing fish. The white makes the fish look washed out, and the play sand is a bit too fine grained for the filters. If you like the salt and pepper- go for it. :thumb: But don't worry about using that brand name- their substrates don't quite perform as promised and aren't worth the money unless you don't find something you like the look of better.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I have both and like both, no real preference. I will say that my leleupi looked terrible over black, the orange goes to gray. Put them back over white/beige and they are brilliant again.

Not a fan of salt/pepper here either.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i think im most likely going to go with blakc or white but ****...im really having a hard time with this for some reason...I think most of the shell dwellers and the cyphs will look great with black.

·
Registered
12 Posts
darker color fish usually look better in lighter color gravel & lighter color fish usuallt look better in darker color gravel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.