Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 75G tank for 5 years now. A lot of the original fish have died and I have added some new fish 2-3 years ago and now I'm about ready to go to the fish store and stock up again. I have had good luck with my school of yellow labs. They seem to repopulate themselves and they look nice. Any ideas on what I could add? BTW, I have an eheim 2217 and 2028 filters.

Currently I have:
7 yellow labs (1 big male @ 3", the rest are mixed M/F @ 2" or smaller)
1 Acei (5-6", original member)
1 Rusty (3.5")
1 Elongatus Metangula (4") <- Really cool fish

I don't have a problem taking some of the fish back, but I would prefer not if possible. I plan on getting suggestions at the fish store too, but should I stick with mbuna or can I mix in some peacocks, or haps. I kind of want a brighter tank with maybe a mix of sizes. I like having the big Acei and Elongatus (he's also very slender and different) and the smaller labs. Makes it neat when the tank is full. I know I have said a lot...thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I'd add females for the fish you already have to end up with 1m:4f of each. Any reason why your fish are dying? Their life span is about 8 years.

With the elongatus I would avoid haps and peacocks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fish aren't suddenly dying, but I've had a 1-2 in the last 6 months to push me to this point. The last one I lost was about 2 months ago, a 5 year+ Acei. There have been a few aggression deaths due to a Scolofi. Those things are just mean when they get older!

DJRansome, how about 1 Hongi...nice blue color with some red? And maybe a Demensi. I had one, but he died over Christmas (I think due to the Elongatus, similar coloring maybe). Or will these get bullied too much. I'm looking at getting about 6 fish tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
If you are going all-male so you can have the one-of-each stocking, I'd remove the female labs. In that case I would not add any other blue barred fish like hongi or demasoni because you already have the elongatus.

Maybe 8 fish total for all-male in a 55G. Maybe Metriaclima estherae. Socolofi. Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano). Something white, but I can't think of anything that would be a genus you don't already have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts