Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a group of 8 Multis and 8 J Transcriptus Bembas to a 40 breeder. I copied a set up that a local store owner has. A plant 'wall' going down the middle with shells and a few rocks on one side, and a lot of rock work and cave structures on the other.

The julies are doing what I expected, they've inhabited the caves. The multis are not. They've also decided to hang out around the caves and the rock structures. I now have one lone multi swimming around the shell bed, and the rest of the fish all in the rock structures. The largest multi also seems to be exerting some dominance and chasing the julies away that appear in his (I assume male) line of sight.

They were all added together yesterday. The julies were added first and released on the right side near the rock. The multis were released second, and were released on the left side above the shells. They just didn't stay there. Is this normal and will they gradually migrate over?
Plant Purple World Organism Aquatic plant

·
Administrator
41,992 Posts
My shellies never hung around the shells until they started spawning. They were all over the tank.

I have heard that a six inch swath of open sand is a better barrier for shellies than other "barriers".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up one week later. The multis moved over. I don't know if it was by choice or if they were forced. The group of of J Transcriptus came in bigger than what I ordered. I thought I was getting a group of 1" fish that would have time to grow out together. They actually ranged from 1.5" to slightly over 2".

It looks like I have a pair already, and they've taken over the rocks and caves. The shell bed is now occupied by the Multis and the displaced Julis either hovered above it or hid in the plant wall. One lone Multi has dug a pit under a piece of black slate and hangs out on the rock side. One small Juli has managed to hide from the apparent pair in the back of the tank.

I did notice that whenever a Juli dropped to low near the shells, the Multis quickly chased it back up again.

After taking these pics, I removed the displaced Juli's and put them back in the hospital/quarantine tank for now. I'm probably going to put them up on the local club swap board to find them a new home. Though my wife asked me if we could move them in with the Caudopuncs in a 30 long and accommodate a second pair in the other tank. There's ten 1" Caudo's in there, and they already appear to have split into two groups and claimed the two rock structures. I've already told her that I think its a bad idea. But it doesn't hurt to get other opinions. Could the group of Caudo's peacefully share the tank with a pair of Juli's on the opposite end?

Purple Art Violet Electric blue Visual arts

Food Table Cuisine Window Pet supply
Plant Vertebrate Green Organism Terrestrial plant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts