Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, just joined, I have kept African cichlids for years and have decided to go American, I have set my 78 gallon [us] up with the following,
FX6 filter
407 filter
2x Eheim 300w heaters governed by an Inkbird controller.
Artificial plants and two large pieces of wood.

Fish so far I have added are
Red spotted gold severum about 8-10cm x1
Red line Torpedo barbs x6
I have ordered a red shoulder heros Rotkiel x1
And a pair of blue Acara,
I would like another pair of something but don't really want aggressive fish or I would have got a pair of Red Terrors,

What else would you recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello.
And welcome to Cichlid Forum! :)
-
Okay then... feedback on your new setup.
  • Filtration: Outstanding. You will probably even have to wick down the FX6 a bit, due to very strong discharge current.
  • Stocking, Non-Cichlid: The Red Line or Denison Barbs are a beautiful species that look great in just about any aquarium. They are a bit expensive (at least here on this side of the pond), and have a tendency to be jumpers. Tight fitting lids are recommended for keeping them, and if you can get a couple more do it! They like a lot of numbers to look and be at their best.
  • Stocking, Cichlids: The pair of Andinoacara pulcher, Blue Acara will be good for this aquarium. Your choice of Severum however, could cause problems. The Red Spotted Gold Severum have emerged as one of the most aggressive Severum types. Unfortunately, the Red Shouldered 'Rotkeil' type are smaller growing, and are considered to be one of the least aggressive Severum types you can get for the aquarium. Plus, like the Red Line Barbs you got, this species very much prefers to be kept in a group. The more the merrier! So, in a 70 gallon tank I would go with a trio of 'Rotkeil' Severum to go with the pair of Blue Acara, and call it a day.
You may want to consider choosing between both of those very different Severum. More aggressive? Or less? And yes, if you want to keep the Red Spotted Gold one, a couple smaller growing CA Cichlids could be stocked with it (instead of the 'Rotkeil'). Otherwise, the Red Spotted Gold Severum may wind up bullying and just beating the stuffings out of that small little 'Rotkeil', and then no one is gonna be very happy. :(
Thanks for the welcome and reply, I may up the qty of the Rotkiel then and see what happens with the Red spot severum, if no issues then great ,if I do get issues I will need to rethink.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts