Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone first post here. I just upgraded to my first Cichlid tank and went with Tanganyikas, I am running a Fluval 306 and a Fluval FX4 for filtration on a 75 gallon. Bio Sand substrate with some crushed coral coming tomorrow. I have 1 piece of Texas holy rock, 2 large Tufa rocks and 2 holy rock decoration pieces in the tank. 2 bubble wands and a wave maker too. I also have a few snail shells for my shell dwellers. I have added my fish to start (12) but I am having a problem maintaining my PH and keeping my Nitrates down. I am aware of adding new fish causing an ammonia spike which I am monitoring everyday with an API master kit and using seachem prime but I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips or tricks as to what I should/shouldnt be doing and looking for either daily or weekly. Any help to a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
You are better off cycling without fish using ammonia.

What fish did you add? You may have to change water daily. How long has the tank been running with fish? I am surprised if you have high nitrate, that you still have high ammonia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the filters I am running were switched from a smaller set up so I let them run in the new tank for 10 days constantly checking water parameters. Everything was holding well until I added the fish. I added a few shell dwellers, 2 Frontosa, 2 Julidochromis, 2 Cyprichromis, 2 Neolamprologus Bricardi and forgive me for forgetting the names (I am still learning) but 2 other juveniles. I will try to post photos later on. Fish seem very happy. Today I bought a 10lb bag of Argonite which I plan on adding about a cup or two per day to the sand substrate so as not to throw things out of whack too quickly. I also added about 8 turbo shells for the shell dwellers. PH now seems to be holding steady at about 8.2-8.4. Nitrates between 10-20ppm. After adding Prime, ammonia dropped to 0 and nitrites still holding at 0. I do plan on starting just some small water changes daily if nitrates climb but I was trying to wait at least a week before doing that. I have had other successful community tanks before but never cichlids so this is all pretty new to me. I did a lot of research before jumping in, maybe I am just being paranoid but they are awesome and I want to succeed here!

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

The frontosa like to be in bigger groups and need a 72" tank.

Cyps are good in a 48" tank but you want a group of a dozen.

Brichardi are very aggressive when spawning...many find they are better in a species tank than with Tangs of other species, especially in a 48" tank.

The cyps, the julidochromis and the shellies should do well in a 75G. Let us know what the last 2 juveniles are when you remember.

Tangs like julidochromis, unless they are a proven pair that have produced fry together, tend to want to choose their own mates and may not accept a mate that has been chosen for them. Try stocking 6 unsexed juveniles and rehoming the fish that are rejected by the dominant pair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts