Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went ahead and jumped for the Playsand look, my Eheim filter now clogged up, and
Aquaclear 110 output low

After i clean all this out, how long before the tank looks really pristine, and now have granueles of sand everywhere?

Been about 12 hours now with these 2 filters..
thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
How did you rinse the sand? I like to run a hose through it until there are no more loose granules to wreak havoc. Yes, I do lose some substrate this way, but I never have a cloudy tank even on day one. :thumb:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rinsed each batch in bucket, ran water...but no,did not run till perfectly clear.....
It looks like it will clear today pretty much, but now concerned that the Eheim canister filter and Aquaclear HOB might be problem with sand.??

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Now that you have the play sand, you may be able to stay clear by raising the intakes. Or be completely safe by adding sponge pre-filters. Never a good idea to have sand running through your impellers.

Since there are no requirements that play sand be a certain grain size, it's hit-or-miss whether you will get sand that is finer than you want. This is part of the attraction of pool filter sand...it's meant to have a consistent grain size.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so do you think i messed up here, or will get to where i need to be? I have read so many posts for years for Playsand , bought at Lowes, and have seen many awesome tanks, i had to try it....

What should i do now you think? i guess rinse both Eheim, and Aquaclear, and let keep going...

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
If you already have sand in the filters, definitely rinse but also raise the intakes. I'd make them really high for now. Don't forget the fish disrupt the sand in their daily activities.

Then when you have a chance add sponges to the intakes so you can lower them back down. You can buy pre-filter sponges or make them with a block of filter sponge, cut off a piece long enough to cover the open grates on the sides of the intake along with the bottom. Plunge sharp scissors in and make two deep, vertical cuts in an X for the intake to slide in.

I think you can make it work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts