Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be moving over everything from my 20g long and adding more fish.. Here is the current setup... Also will be switching over to an LED setup.. Think it will look really nice with the SA's and plants.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I really like the contrast you've built with the decor. This will look great!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Think im going to add 15 more Cardinal Tetras and 6 more bleeding hearts..

So ill have 20 Cardinal tetras, 12 Bleeding hearts and my pair of Bolivian Rams..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure, i'm new to SA's i've been mostly mbuna but for the most part i know anything that is a calm, schooling fish works well with rams like some tetras species otherwise they get stressed out.. I asked in the SA forum whatelse i can put in there for some more color but those look real nice..

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well compatibility they say they are both semi-aggressive so since they stay the same size I bet it would be okay.

A nice primary blue or orange Apistogramma would be a great compliment to the reddish hues of the Rams and your tetras.

But what you're doing now is good, I have a bit of graphic design/studio art experience and color wise- red fish with your set up is perfect. Red and green are compliments on the color wheel and naturally create a pleasing palate.

Then all you need would be a fish that was either blue or orange (two colors that would both serve to complete the triad) to create a point of focus to build a truly interesting living work.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blue would look great, i will have to do a little bit more research on them.. Thanks for your advice. :thumb:

·
Registered
625 Posts
No problem, I'm hoping to get similar advice when I start my dual 55/40L Hap and Peacock/Mbuna set up as I have never kept either.

I have a 75 CA that I might sell the fish and make that the Hap and Peacock, then the 55 the Mbuna, and the 40L a Saulosi.

I don't really know yet and I'm easily a year away from seriously starting this.

Also, I think blue would be a much nicer addition than orange. The tank seems to be cooler rather than warmer and blue would compliment that.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is my mbuna tank, you can see how the colors look together.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Changed it around a bit and added some brown to the sand, was a little too white for my taste.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very nice, what kind of lights are they? There's something about your tank I just love.

I need to change out my lights on my 55 and I want lighting similar to that.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I'm going to be putting an LED on it soon but the current lights are just the stock ballast with clear lids, then the bulbs are Power Glo's

·
Registered
625 Posts
Okay, power glos, do you happen to know the temperature or do they only come in one color?

Why change to LEDs? I have seem them but they seem pretty expensive. I would never change the lights on my 75 but for my 40L or 55 that have mismatched bulbs from the previous owner, I might be interested.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe Power Glo's are 18000k

I am changing to LEDs because I found a Double Bright on Craigslist (3 months old) for $60 bucks :thumb: Plus with an SA tank I think the shimmer effect is really nice.. For a Mbuna tank i would never do LED but on this setup with Plants I think it will look really good.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey Norm66, I'm in Vienna here, where do you get your cichlids? Pet supplies plus only has "assorted" tanks, belpre aquarium I've not had great experiences with, and that shop in Marietta is way more geared to pond fish and saltwater.

I want to get into it but I don't want to support the puppy millesque F49576 fish that chains have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts