Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The rocks are actually siliconed together to secure them. The way I did it was the silicone about 5-10 rocks per pile together. That way they fit together like a jig saw puzzle lol. I figure that way I can rearrange them when/if I want and just refit them together in different configurations without worrying that they will fall and hit the glass.

Just picked up 100lbs of PFS about 10 mins ago so gonna play around with building up the islands some more now today.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Put about 8 more hours into the paludarium today. It's enjoyable, yet so frustrating. Trying to get rocks just right so the waterfall runs down correctly and get the flow adjusted right. Then making sure certain plants are above water and other with roots in water. Definitely a lot more goes into one of these than I first anticipated. About halfway done now, starting to shape up nicely.

Video-

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks great! Maybe airbrush the wall behind with the same pattern...is that doable? Did you get the newts yet?

Man, it really looks like the sun wants to poke through the clouds. Nicely done. I am considering doing a shadowbox background for my oyster reef tank, using backlighting in a similar way. Down the road though, because I have a lot of work to do to get that project going.

What filtration are you using?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally I thought about doing some water/wave paint work on the wall but decided against it, just seemed like it might be a bit too much. So this way I think the tank background pops more. Decided against newts. Did some more reading on them and found they actually are climbers so with the low front panel they may escape. So probably going with some guppies and or neons and CAE and maybe some shrimp, but not sure on the shrimp yet. Using a 404b for filtration. Figure there's probably only 20g of water in it so even with 404b it is pretty well over filtered for whatever I put in it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to collect and keep my own salamanders. Of course, you'd need to check your states laws. I kept Eastern spotted salamanders, Northern red salamanders, and a marbled salamander. They were awesome pets. I wound up donating them to a nature center when I moved. But, I had them for five years. The ate just about any insect that I put in there, including my leftover spikes and waxworms at the end of ice fishing season. But they're favorite food was earthworms. I always fed them after a rain when the worms were easily collected on the sidewalk. Perhaps you can collect your own amphibians... Not only were mine colorful, but entertaining as well. They became quite tame in a short amount of time. They'd hide until they saw you open the tank, with only their heads poking out of their hidey holes. Then, when I'd open the tank, they'd come out looking to be fed. You have to be careful to make sure that they're all about the same size though, because I learned quickly that they were cannibalistic.

My buddy kept them too. And, come to think of it, he had problems with them climbing out. He didn't have a lid on his tank. I had a lid on my tank, so I didn't have problems. So, I thought that maybe there could be a way to keep them in without a lid. Maybe just have a lip of glass or something that they can't negotiate, kinda like the border wall, LOL. No matter what you do, the project looks great and I look forward to seeing it though on here.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Basically finished it today. Other than moving over a group of about 25 bloody mary shrimp I just got for it, and add a shoal of cardinal tetras to it as well.

First here's a vid of it-

And pics

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
:dancing: Beautiful job, the pics look great and the video gave a great sense of the lushness of this set up.

Any chance of posting an equipment list of this set up?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow...I mean WOW! That is amazing! You put a ton of work into this project and got it up in a short amount of time. Well done!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Here's a brief list of the equipment Deeda-

75g tank cut down to 8" front
PFS & pebble substrate
Rock islands built up with brick underlayments
Sunsun 404b filtration (also powers the main waterfall on the left of tank)
two 70gph pumps for the two waterfalls on the right of tank
200w heater
4ft LED light behind tank for back lighting of the airbrushed sky
Two full spectrum LEd grow lights
4ft LEd shop light
Two LED flood lights

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Fog is rolling in on the paludarium tonight. Can even hear the spring peppers singing away (sound on) :D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks Ken. It's doing really well, much better than expected. Most research I did before building this said that you'll lose plants for a short period of time as they acclimate to being planted in the new environment. So far though only thing that has changed is my one ficus bonsai on the left dropped its leaves and died back a tad. Which is normal for replanting/moving a bonsai tree, that happens to me every spring when I take all my trees out of the overwintering spots and put them outside. But it already has some new buds popping. And a few spots of the moss on the back rock have browned, but other than that so far so good which is a bit surprising to me.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Palurdarium is fully cycled now so added some life to it today in the form of four giant danios, 2 doz bloody mary shrimp, few guppies and few snails.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Added four male fancy guppies today. Hard to believe because guppies are such a common fish, but these are actually the first time I have ever owned guppies.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I know, I dunno what is happening to me. First shrimp, then danios and snails, now guppies. I hope my cichlid card does not get revoked :D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey Kevin. I have thought about maybe doing that at some point. Wanted something a bit more colorful for this tank though so that's why I decided on guppies. Sometime down the road I might do a native species tank though I always thought that would be cool.

Figured I'd do a little 5 week update on my first ever paludarium. Things are going surprisingly well in it so far. I did not experience any sort of die off of any plants during the acclimation period which was a little surprising. Only thing that happened was the ficus bonsai tree on the left dropped all its leaves when I repotted which is normal for it, but now it's pushing out a whole new set of growth the past 2 weeks. Shrimp are doing well and some are pregnant. Snails have been thriving and went from 3 snails to who knows how many now, 50+? Added 7 male guppies and 4 giant danios and they are doing well. All plants are doing great and even have some very nice lush green moss growing naturally on the rocks and wood now which is nice. For my first paludarium build I could not be happier with it so far.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.