Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just love the look of these fish so I just got a great deal on a pair of black calvus (known breeding pair) and put them in my all male, (mostly)Malawi tank. (see my sig for occupants)

My original plan was to just keep the male (hence my all male tank) and sell the female to a buddy. I'm now thinking I might try to keep the female too cause they look so awesome in there together!

My questions are:
Will having that single female calvus reak havok in my tank? Or will noone care about her other than the male calvus? Will he get violent to the other fish if they breed?

If I do get rid of her, could I get another male calvus? Preferably a white calvus, or maybe even a comprecisseps? Or would the two males always battle it out?

TIA

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think you should keep the pair together. The reason for an all male malawi tank is to have colorful fish so by having male or female calvus it doesn't really matter, because they aren't colorful. I wouldn't worry about the calvus wreaking havoc, I'd worry about your malawis bothering the calvus and stressing them out, they (the calvus) are pretty calm fish. If your malawis don't bother the pair, let them be. If they do seem to be getting stressed out, maybe think bout putting together a tang tank?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good. I'll keep them together then, and keep a close eye to make sure they're not getting stressed out. Most of my other fish are pretty calm now that I took out my red eureka, he was the **** raiser.
Thanks!

Oh by the way, do you think they will breed in my setup or do they need very specific (or no) tankmates?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts