Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently (about 2 weeks ago) purchased a nice looking tiger Oscar, about 2" and set him up in a 55 gal tank (I know I should upgrade this to a larger tank down the road, but I already had this tank). Cycled the thing, made sure that all the readings were in the appropriate range before I actually went and bought the fish. There is also a small Pleco in there (2-3").

Anyway, the fish refuses to eat in front of me. Rushes to the bottom and hides wherever he can as soon as I approach the tank. Doesn't do so until I'm actually close enough to start dropping food in. Tried leaving some floating pellets in the tank so he would eat them, but they are still there when I walk back in the room a half hour later. I have been dropping some sinking pellets and I think he is snacking on those, but I can't be sure (substrate and pellets are too close in color).

The fish doesn't appear weak or sick, I can sneak into the room and see him swimming all over the place. I know that sometimes it just takes them awhile to adjust, but I'm more worried that he isn't getting enough food than I am about him being nervous of my presence. Anyway, any tips from the pro's? Should I change my approach/food choice/both?

·
Registered
369 Posts
you've described the situation well. A couple of questions.

1. where is the tank? I've found that if there is not much movement in an area (i.e. bedroom where you spend little time) then most fish will be a little shy when you're close by. Oscars being students of the theatre (drama queens) tend to play this out even more than most fish.

2. what are you feeding him? what brand and type of food. i use hakari and although i'm not sayin this is a must i've never had an oscar shy away for too long. if your really questioning his eating then get some bloodworms or brineshrimp. My oscars cannot ignore bloodworms.

just a comment and personal opinion but that pleco needs to go. depending on the type they can be as filthy as an oscar in time. That 55 is on the cusp for just a lone oscar (if it were me w/o substrate) that pleco is not going to help the bioload in the tank. again just personal opinion but based on some experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts