Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I just got 2 used Emperor 400's, but they look pretty old. They have a lot of calcium build up on them, would I be able to scrape and clean it off and change the old filters and get it running good as new?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Should be able to as long as the mechanics are still sound.
You'll want to soak everything in vinegar for a while until the mineral deposits are dissolved, may take a few hours to a day or two. Rinse with water.
CLR works well if it's available in your area. This stuff is quite toxic so you'll want to rinse very well afterwards. I usually wash with liquid dish soap after using it, then soak objects in clean water for half an hour or so before letting things dry.
Probably doesn't need saying, however, replace the filter wheels and filter pads, you might be able to clean and reuse the refillable media container.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it turns out I just took a screw driver and a scrub pad and just scraped it all off of the filter, took it apart and found the impeller and the magnet and everything, all still looks good, I have to get new filters and a few new bio wheels for it, then I should start cycling the tank, thanks for the input GTZ!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.