Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
No it's a combination of factors including fish size, genetics, tank mates, diet and other factors. How did it look prior to your purchase?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Tonyr3288 said:
So lack of color, in this case, is related to being new to tank and not the size of the fish?
It also depends on the quality of fish. Being that o.b.'s are manmade they vary alot. Yours may just end up white with blotches.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest, not sure how it looked. I ordered online from a reputable source. I guess I will wait and see! I know they vary quite a bit and was hoping for something similar to what was pictured on the site - wasn't really expecting black and white!

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Generally, most of these cichlids color up at sexual maturity, if male.

First, is it really a male? Do you see any shiny blue?
Second, if male, will probably just color up light blue. Don't know if any orange will show up.
Third, they vary alot and many are kinda duds. They have to be selectively bred. Not all are the same.

Not hormoned, like many oif these you see in stores, so I guess that is a plus.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the response! It was sold as a male. There appears to be some blue around the eyes/head. Can't really see any elsewhere. It definitely isn't shy. I can already tell it might end up being at the top of the chain. Here are a couple of pics that show the blue better.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Not sure I would trust sexing on a smallish fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts