Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined Charles as Mod of the Frontosa Fanatics here on CF. Since I've mostly been active in other areas of the site, I thought I'd take the opportunity to say hi. Please go easy on me, because I have only ever kept Burundis. The forum will continue to rely on all of you folks' advice when it comes to IDing any of the other color morphs :wink:

If you have any suggestions what I can do to make this forum even more enjoyable for you, please don't hesitate to contact me by PM or email - both below all of my posts.

Last but not least, I thought you might enjoy following the alpha male of my Burundis on his patrol through the tank. The video was taken just yesterday.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I've been looking at your website for months (still miss the tropheus section). It's great to see this update on your frontosa tank. Looks like you have a couple of juvies in there now. =D>

·
2,088 Posts
Welcome! Always enjoy your posts. Even if you only keep Burundi's LOL

Nothing wrong with good healthy fish.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

My website is a work in progress. Right now there seems to be a conflict between the current version of Wordpress and the server software. I am waiting for that issue to resolve itself, and then one day the tropheus section will hopefully come back online - unlike my tropheus, whom I have killed :oops:

I have 3 juvie fronts in the 240G now. From a breeder's perspective the tank is a huge waste, but I enjoy watching it. Breeding is not a primary concern for me, or else I'd have to take out all the other fish, who eat the front's eggs before the female can even get them in her mouth :roll:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Grat's Frank! Can't think of anyone more qualified than you, your tank is a model of what works and your knowledge of the front world runs deep.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
larry.beck said:
Grat's Frank! Can't think of anyone more qualified than you, your tank is a model of what works and your knowledge of the front world runs deep.
I am sure there are many more qualified, and I won't even say anything about the shallowness of my knowledge, but the thought of my tank as a potential model for what works has troubled me for years. It is all to easy for newcomers to the hobby to see pictures like the one below, and conclude that fronts, cyps, leleupi and shellies will live as one happy family in their 36G bowfront. I hope people keep in mind that this is a small section of a 8' setup, and a lot of careful preparation as well as luck have gone into making that setup work. No amount of luck will make my stocking list work in a considerably smaller tank!

To be clear, I appreciate the compliments, Larry, and I know you didn't mean it that way, but that model thing gives me the creeps.

Prize question - how many fish do you see in the photo above? You can click on it for a larger version!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome Frank! When this guy named Larry started telling me about the big front tank he wanted to set up, I couldn't wait to send him to yours! Of course, he know all about it. I'm in the process of turning my 6ft 120g front tank into more of a tang community. Right now I've got a pair of yellow calvus and an ellipsifer eel in there (with 7 frontosa Kitumba). I plan to add some leleupi, julidochromis marlieri, and tanganicodus irsacae when I rescape it this weekend. I don't know about the gobies, but a friend had too many and thought they should be fast enough to hide with enough rocks and caves. We'll see. I don't know how long the eel is going to last--he's getting huge. I bought him at 7" three years ago and he's over 14" now.

BTW, I counted 9 fish in the picture (including the partial ones off to the right).

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kriskm - I hope it'll work out for you. The largest of my fronts were 2" when I first got them, most were smaller. If your's are adults, I can see them put up with calvus and the eel, but the other fish might have a hard time. I guess you are about to find out. Please keep us posted!

We'll let the counting contest run for a bit longer :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
fmueller said:
the thought of my tank as a potential model for what works has troubled me for years. It is all to easy for newcomers to the hobby to see pictures like the one below, and conclude that fronts, cyps, leleupi and shellies will live as one happy family in their 36G bowfront.
Your tank is a model in many different ways. You have one of the very few successfully planted frontosa tanks. You pioneered a lot of tank design ideas, such as using a sump, real rock background, ColorQuartz substrate, and shop lighting. You also showed that sometimes the stocking rules can be broken, and are the first one to tell anyone contemplating copying your design that their mileage may vary, and that you experience has been the exception not the rule.

fmueller said:
To be clear, I appreciate the compliments, Larry, and I know you didn't mean it that way, but that model thing gives me the creeps.
LOL understood, and hopefully the clarification above will make you more comfortable, and set other readers on the right path.

·
Registered
216 Posts
kriskm said:
When this guy named Larry started telling me about the big front tank he wanted to set up, I couldn't wait to send him to yours! Of course, he know all about it.
LOL yes, when I posted my original questions about my setup I had already been reading about Frank's tank for over a year. I still hit your blog about once a month, Frank.

kriskm said:
I'm in the process of turning my 6ft 120g front tank into more of a tang community.
I'm anxious to see how yours turns out, Kris.

For mine, it looks like I'll either go 300g or 375g. I have the moba, calvus, comp and cyp stock growing out in a 55g now, and will move them up to a 125 or 240 this summer. Oh, there's a tanganikyan eel in there now as well - he's my wife's. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fmueller said:
Prize question - how many fish do you see in the photo above? You can click on it for a larger version!
OK, interest seems kind of limited, so no point in prolonging the suspense! :D

I think I can see 11. The least visible might be a helianthus in the top, left-hand side corner. You can only just make out the white stripes in the fins, and I only discovered the sucker after I asked this question.

The cool one, and the reason I asked this question, is the female brevis. She is behind the male brevis, and facing in the opposite direction. You can see her tail fin to the left of the male's mouth.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts