Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I hope u mothers have got a good day coming. I do. I will be going to my LFS to pick up more fish. =D> I converted my discus tank to cichlids. I love the discus, but too much maintenance for me sooo, here I am.
I now started a Lake Malawi species tank. I love the rocks. Diff for me. I kept my discus tank bb, easier to clean. I now put some crushed coral (my son's idea). As I read, I noticed alot of people don't like that. So I decided to mix pool sand w/it. What do you think?
I don't think I can post a pic right now being new so I will describe what I have.
Left from discus tank is 6 bristellnose pleco's and 1 clown loach. Loach isn't growing. Maybe the temp of the discus's was too high. 84 degrees. Anyway, started w/ a nice rock pile in one corner of tank. Worked good for the loach, but had to break it up when I added yesterday, 4 elec yellows and 2 Acie. I don't know how to spell that. sorry :-? Ooops, here r the dimensions of my tank 72x23.5x20. A 150 gal. I have a gal sump going in this week sometime and thats my only source of filtration.

The obvious question now is what else can I put and how many? The elec yellows r on special this weekend 4 for $20. I was also wanting a few bigger ones also. Can anyone suggest what I can have? Ur help would be deeply appreciated :thumb:
thanks
Eileen

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Clown loaches won't like the higher pH Africans need...shoot for pH=8.0. Also they like to be in groups of 6 and grow to 13" so they will be a major source of bioload if you decide to stock them.

The fish like to dig and spit the sand all over the place, so they would prefer straight pool filter sand but crushed coral won't harm them.

Since you have a mbuna theme going, you could stock all mbuna. I found five species perfect for a 72" tank. Figure about 5-6 of each species with one male if you choose mbuna that are average aggression.

Since your first two mbuna are relatively peaceful, you could also stock the rest of the tank with haps and peacocks. You need to decide whether you would want all-male (colorful) or mixed genders (only males are colorful).

You probably want to do some more research before buying fish other than labs and acei. Or...if you don't get attached once they are home...make sure you get the option to return with no questions asked. :thumb:

Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I read peacocks r mean. Is that true? Yes, I will be doing more research before I stock more of a diff species. U said u know of a nice variety of stocking? Can u share? My clown started in a reg comm tank, ie. bala's silver dollars, etc. Then he went to discus, now he is in the Mbuna tank. See if he fairs..... :? He got along good w/the discus, sometimes I think he thought he was a discus. He is definitely missing them....
Thanks for the advice. Its very appreciated.
E

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I can tell you stocking I have had in my 72" tank or recommend combinations if you like something else.

Peacocks are not mean...mbuna are mean. :lol: In general and on average. Always exceptions.

What is your preference among these choices:
--mixed gender, all mbuna
--all-male hap/peacock with just your two mbuna groups
--mixed gender, mbuna, haps and peacocks (silver females)

If you want one or more bigger fish than the mbuna, haps would fit the criteria.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I want a mix. Like I said, I would like a variety of small to large w/o too many probs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eileen said:
I think I want a mix. Like I said, I would like a variety of small to large w/o too many probs.
I don't know much of each species. Just want a variety of color and size.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sounds like haps + the two mbuna groups (yellow labs and acei). Which is pretty much where my expertise stops, having never kept an all-male hap tank.

Check out the profiles section of this site, search through the Malawi haplochromis section as well as Malawi peacocks, and pick some of your favorites.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Here are the haps and peacocks I have, and they would mix with acei and yellow labs in a 72" tank. Just to get some ideas. These are relatively peaceful and mature at 6" or less except the borleyi. Would be about the right number (with 12 mbuna) for a 72" I think.

Astatotilapia latifasciata Lake Kyoga 'Zebra'
Protomelas marginatus 'Turquoise'
Otopharynx tetrastigma
Copadichromis trewavasae Likoma 'Ivoryhead Mloto'
Copadichromis borleyi Kandango
Aulonocara stuartgranti Mdoka (Flametail)
Aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri
Aulonocara Ruby Red
Aulonocara turkis
Placidochromis electra Likoma 'Deep Water'
Copadichromis chrysonotus Mumbo 'White Blaze'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what do u think of this setup?

6-bristol nose pleco's 1 clown loach

5/7/11
4- electric yellows
2 -Acei

5/8/11
1-Pseudotropheus polit
2 -Acei
1-Syno Petricola (cat fish)
1-Venustis

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I think the venustus will not be happy with the mbuna, but maybe someone who has tried it will chime in.

If you are going mixed-gender than add fish for each species until you have 1m:4f of each. Acei and labs especially like to be in larger groups of 5-6.

You still want another species or two depending on what happens with the venustus.

Synodontis petricola also like to be in groups of 5-6 but I would probably not do both clowns and synodontis. Again, maybe someone who has tried that can chime in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, like I said, I only have the one loach. Don't plan on anymore. As far as stocking, I will do it, but right now, finances r tight and these fish r'nt cheap for me. ****, the cat was 23 alone.
Can u enlighten me about adding more fish to the tank? I just want to make sure these guys r healthy and make it alright b4 I invest anymore in fish. Does that sound like a plan?
My lfs guy seems like he knows whats up so I will be dealing w/him for a while. I live in GRMI, so the selection in stores isn't the greatest. :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts