Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending the last three days going thru this sites forums, links and pictures I have to say "Great Job to all". This is a great site, it's very informative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have had a African Cichlid tank since about 97' its a 75gl with different filters, Aqua clear, Emperor 400s, Fuval 405's and Marineland Canister (which leaked over my new hardwood floor). I have also had various types of the less expensive African cichlids (Rip to my little soldiers). With competion from my other hobbies my tank fell to the wayside. I know want to revive it and get it off its state of life support. I only have three fish, a tropheus, a albino cichlid and a unkown which have all been in there for the past 4 years atleast. I plan on adding more Africans to the tank, and using a Fluval 403 thats in the garage if its still good, any other recommendations or advice about what and how many filters to use, would be appreciated.

75Gal
Aqua Clear 300
Crush Coral
Various coral rocks
Tree stump
No heater..lol room heat only usally 60ish degrees
PH?? but will be at 8.2
Lighting- Daylight/sunligh & night light all in one

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Good show, always nice to get a restart going. It sounds like you have major legup on somebody just starting but I might question some things. How do you feel about your knowledge of the nitrogen cycle and the basics? Sometimes we go along and kind of forget some of the things that can make this hobby easy. Since the fish are still with you, you must be doing something right.
For reading up and maybe refreshing the memory, I like the info on this site:
http://www.freshwater-aquarium-fish.com/water_chemistry.htm

If you have not been thinking about those things too much, reading up some might save you some trouble as it is one of the critical points to keep in mind. For filters, you may have enough to get you what you need for the fish you have. I would suggest doing some testing for Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate before making decisions on filters as it is important to know what you have now in water quality. PH is not as important to be a specific level as much as a steady level if it is somewhere close. Must be passible as the fish seem to have grown with it.

I don't see the tree stump. It is possible the stump might give you trouble keeping your PH up if your buffering (KH) is low. Might check that as well before starting full out. Some of the water on the East end is low in buffering due to lack of natural limestone rock.

Slow and steady and you will be back on track.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts