Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I started setting up my 55 as an African Cichlid Tank a few weeks ago. I have about 9 assorted Africans in there now. Some are the electric yellows, a couple of orange looking ones, and a few Blackish Blue Cichlids with stripes. There are 9 in total. I am using 2 Penguin 350 Filters and my water tests are coming out good. I am feeding them Omega One SUpercolor Cichlid Pellets but every now and then one of them will inhale a pellet and spit it back out. he will do this a couple times before he finally eats it. I am attaching some pics so any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Love the black and red substrate--very intense!

Concerning the fish that are spitting out food--occasionally: keep a close watch on them. Make sure they are actually eating at every feeding and that the spitting continues to be occasional. One of the first symptoms of Bloat is spitting out food but this is usually a symptom that quickly turns into not eating at all. So watch them.

It looks like all of your fish are juveniles so you should be okay for awhile but eventually you're probably going to have to make some changes in stocking. Most mbuna need to be kept harem style with one male for every 3/4 females. And some species of mbuna, (looks like you may have one of them, the black and yellow striped on in the driftwood, an Auratus http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=750), are extremely aggressive and will only work out in a very large tank or with just the right stocking.

My advice to you: get a good picture of each fish and then post them in the unidentified folder to get an id on them. From there you'll need to do some research to find out what species will go with the species you have, how to sex them, etc. There are plenty of people here who can help you with that.
But like I said, you've got juveniles so you should have a little time before you have to make any changes. I'd start on the research now though :) You don't want to get up one morning and find your Auratus has woken up before you.

Robin

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome. Pre-soaking your pellets will make them more palatable. I would remove the auratus as Robin said. As far as the rest of your stock, you may not have to remove all of your fish, your group of labs could almost assuredly stay. But again that is all down the road, and from what I can see, you have a pretty good start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.