Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got a Kenyi that seems to have a swollen vent. Now I believe it’s still too early to vent and from appearance alone I feel it’s a male, but at times I wonder as it seems it turns more blue in the light. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Water Vertebrate Azure Fin Organism

Water Grey Fin Fish Underwater

I also have had this Texas (at least it was sold to me as that) for about a year now. Hasn’t grown any larger than this and it seems to have the black spot on the dorsal so I’m under the impression it’s female. This one also has what looks like poop just starting to come out except it’s been there for 3 or so weeks now. Doesn’t get longer or anything just stays the same.Again hopefully someone has an idea. Thanks everyone!
Water Vertebrate Blue Underwater Natural environment

·
Super Moderator
2,343 Posts
Welcome to C-F!

Your pics aren't clear enough for me to hazard a guess whether the fish in the 1st pic has swelling or if it's a breeding tube and I can't see anything specific on the last pic. Are these the clearest pics you can get?

Are both these fish in the same tank? Any other tank mates that may be showing similar symptoms? Are they eating well and pooping normal otherwise?

Can you provide additional details on the tank dimensions, how long it's been set up, frequency and amount of water changes and what you are feeding?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to C-F!

Your pics aren't clear enough for me to hazard a guess whether the fish in the 1st pic has swelling or if it's a breeding tube and I can't see anything specific on the last pic. Are these the clearest pics you can get?

Are both these fish in the same tank? Any other tank mates that may be showing similar symptoms? Are they eating well and pooping normal otherwise?

Can you provide additional details on the tank dimensions, how long it's been set up, frequency and amount of water changes and what you are feeding?
I will absolutely try to get some better photos. They are both in my 55g along with an Oscar, convict, OB peacock and a bumblebee. And yes, they get along FOR THE MOST PART. Hahaha but anyhow no other tank mates have the “protrusion” I see with these two. I just did roughly a 40% change on Saturday night and usually once every two weeks or so around 20-25%. Run two marine land bios, a 350 and 150.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water Fin Underwater Shark Fish

Eye Fin Whiskers Fish Underwater

Organism Water Fish Liquid Underwater

so I tried again haha I’m sorry they’re so hard to see they are just always on the move and it’s like they know when I’m trying to get a photo of their “parts” 😂!! Hopefully the Kenyi photos are slightly more decisive. As for the Texas, as I was taking a pic it did poop and it came out in front of the spot in question..

·
Registered
609 Posts
I will absolutely try to get some better photos. They are both in my 55g along with an Oscar, convict, OB peacock and a bumblebee. And yes, they get along FOR THE MOST PART. Hahaha but anyhow no other tank mates have the “protrusion” I see with these two. I just did roughly a 40% change on Saturday night and usually once every two weeks or so around 20-25%. Run two marine land bios, a 350 and 150.
Welcome to CF. This is a really bad combination of fish for a 55 gallon tank. Unless you plan on re-homing these fish to larger/different tanks you are going to have issues down the road. 55 is too small for an Oscar as it grows, Kenyi can be super aggressive, etc.. Once these fish start to mature you are going to have some issues with this mix.

·
Super Moderator
2,343 Posts
If the fish are eating and pooping just fine, I would just monitor them for the next week.

I agree that it's not a great combination of fish, especially for a 55G tank. I would up the water change to 50% weekly and include substrate siphoning in your maintenance schedule.

Do you change tank water by bucket or are you using a Python type device to add directly from the faucet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts