Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after being a long time reviewer. This afternoon my wife and I just purchased a 210-gallon All-Glass and I'm like a little kind on Christmas morning. I can hardly wait for when the tank arrives next week. We currently have a 72-gallon bow front full of cichlids :fish: waiting for the bigger tank we have been promising them the past 6 months. I just wanted to extend a thanks to all the experienced members out there that have taken time away from their fish to post informative messages on this board. It has helped my wife and I immensely as we have researched and agonized over what size tank to purchase. We started out thinking of a 125 but when we went to the LFS my wife fell in love with the 150 he had because of the extra height. Then I eyed the 180 with the extra width, but she didn't like the shorter height. Well, after debating the merits of extra height versus extra width, and a very sweet deal by the LFS ($625 for the tank with free gravel!!), we finally bit the bullet on the 210. Anyone available next Wednesday to help lift the tank on to the stand? :wink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome and congrats !!
210 is plenty of space and your fish will be thrilled...

Show some pictures when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
"See Honey, this guys wife understands"

Congrats!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
"See Honey, this gals hubby understands" :thumb:

:lol: Hoosier

Congrats on the new tank. You're both gonna love it and have so much fun filling it...with fish not the water lol. Sorry I got a bad back and can't lift :wink:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Welcome Malawian Maniac
:)

What are the dimensions of your new tank? . Do you have Mbuna or Haps?

Defiantly keep us posted on your progress, and post some pics…

I am picking up a 200g tank tomorrow, myself… and the fun begins…. :dancing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the new tank is 72"*24*29. Our 72-gallon BF currently houses the following:
3 Auloncara stuartgranti (actually, seven if you include the 4 fry)
1 Lopadichromis borleyi
2 Cynotilapia afra
1 Iodotropheus sperengerae
1 Labidochromus careuleus
2 Metriaclima estherae (plus 3 new fry that hatched last week)
1 Metriaclima zebra (OB)
1 Paralabiochromis sp. "rock krib" - my personal tank favorite
1 Pseudotropheus elongatus
2 Pseudotropheus acei
1 Pseudotropheus socolofi
1 Pleco
We've had the current set-up now for close to a year and even after discovering a couple of rogue females the tanks mates play pretty well together, all things considered. We knew we had some potential for serious conflicts as we bought fish more on looks and disposition (yes, we admit being superficial ) than compatibility but the LFS is great about trading out fish if there are any conflicts. Needless to say but we feel very lucky the community has managed to co-exist. Our plan is to now be much more selective and discriminating when adding the last few fish to the new tank. We definitely want to add a Nimbidichromus venustus and a N. livingstonii now with the bigger tank. The fry will stay in the 72-gallon for now to verify that they are in fact not hybrids. Can probably trade the fry in at the LFS for another fish we want. If they are hybrids, I can drop off at Petco as a "mixed cichlid assortment" :lol: .

·
Registered
16 Posts
congrats on the tank and the choice of wife,mine wont let me upgrade in size yet i don't know whats wrong with her i offered to remove all of her plants into a skip :D i am jealous and will soon have my way DEATH TO ALL HOUSEHOLD GREENERY :dancing:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Nice sized tank...

How does the Rock krib get along with the Malawi's

How big is it? Did it color up nice?

:fish:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. The Rock Krib gets along great with the Malawi's. The LFS has a sweet 250-gallon cichlid tank with a few Lake Victornians mixed in with the Malawis and they said they never had any problems so I decided to pull the trigger when they got a new batch of rock kribs. The krib was actually the most aggressive when I first added him to the tank. Even though he was about an 1.5 inch long, he was attempting to take contol of half of the tank. After that, he and the rest of the tank settled down and reached "relative" harmony. He' s about 4.5 inches now with a bright crimson red belly. Our well water is naturally hard and alkaline, not so good for us but great for the fish. Even though we have a filtration system and softener I have the water changes timed to occur right before the systems recharge.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
+1 to the liquid concrete well water, makes it easy when you don't have to add a bunch of chemicles to try and ballance it out for your tank. Open the faucet and dump it in :thumb:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hoosier Tank said:
+1 to the liquid concrete well water, makes it easy when you don't have to add a bunch of chemicles to try and ballance it out for your tank. Open the faucet and dump it in :thumb:
Ditto, on the well water.....

I add a little water conditioner, and its done... :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
D-day finally came yesterday. Between me, my wife, and the neighbor couple we got that monters set up on the stand with no trouble and no finger loss. I knew it was going to be a large tank but it looks some much bigger out of the LFS and in our great room. The funny part, when we took all the wrapping off and were starting to slide the tank out of the truck I look down and see what appears to be several cracks in the bottom. My heart immediately sank but my wife said I think that is the silicone. Sure enough, when I scrapped with my fingernail it came off :dancing: . The best part of all I swear the eyes on all the fish in our other tank bugged out when we walked by with the new tank.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Awesome, I'd like to see some pics when you have it set up. I'm working on trying to get a bigger tank...need the boss' approval though. Wish me luck...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts